Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the boot on the driver's side CAC tube that connects to the CAC. It keeps blowing off of the tube. Hairspray helped a bit but still blew it off. So I bought a new can of hair spray, the stickiest stuff I can find. I will try it this morning again. If this does not work I guess I will 3M it to the tuve side. Perhaps my tube is worn and no grip there.

Other than this do you all have any suggestions?
Thanks again.
Mike

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Quit useing hair spray and clean it with brake clean . Clean the tube, the hose conn. clamps. Then reassemble.

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
Quit useing hair spray and clean it with brake clean . Clean the tube, the hose conn. clamps. Then reassemble.

Clean it like Aljay said but use hairspray afterwards. Let the spray set for about 15 minutes and then clamp it down.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Rough up the end of the tube with sand paper to give it some grip. Clean really good, then clean it again.

·
Who is Obama?
1,779 Posts
I took pliers and just bent up a lip all the way around, I couldn't even clamp the ####ing thing down without it popping out of the boot.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I replaced the boot on the driver's side CAC tube that connects to the CAC. It keeps blowing off of the tube. Hairspray helped a bit but still blew it off. So I bought a new can of hair spray, the stickiest stuff I can find. I will try it this morning again. If this does not work I guess I will 3M it to the tuve side. Perhaps my tube is worn and no grip there.

Other than this do you all have any suggestions?
Thanks again.
Mike
3 of mine are gorilla glued - i always seem to blow them off at the IC pipe connection. i clean the end of the connection, then put a line of glue in the groove and lightly around the remainder of the contact area. install the boot, put a clamp on it snugly, and let it dry. works great for me.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, great infor guys. I cleaned it this morning and used hair spray, but did not wait for it to dry just held it together with one hand while clamping it with the other. If I tighten the clamp too much it slides out like razorcsc.
Have only run it up to around 17 lbs of boost as am afraid to test it. I iwll take if back off, clean again, rough up a bit and do the hairspray thing. I have used hairspray before and it did help. When all clamped and dry i will go push some air through there and should be just fine. I not I will 3M it cause that stuff will never let go.

PTSUPRD I will throw another nut on it as well.

Thanks all.

·
917 Posts
Are you running stock tubes? The banks tubes are a pretty nice upgrade (at least they make 1 decent product) or you can have someone weld a big bead around the bottom of your stock pipes to help hold it together.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Cool, great infor guys. I cleaned it this morning and used hair spray, but did not wait for it to dry just held it together with one hand while clamping it with the other. If I tighten the clamp too much it slides out like razorcsc.
Have only run it up to around 17 lbs of boost as am afraid to test it. I iwll take if back off, clean again, rough up a bit and do the hairspray thing. I have used hairspray before and it did help. When all clamped and dry i will go push some air through there and should be just fine. I not I will 3M it cause that stuff will never let go.

PTSUPRD I will throw another nut on it as well.

Thanks all.
I did all the above using 40grit sand paper and used two clamps to keep it on. It would finally keep the boots on even while dialing in my wastegate (on the old D66) seeing boost levels of up to 44psi.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 clamps is good also. I will have to go take a ride tomorrow and see if it stays on. Othewise I will do it over again and add another clamp.

I know if I use 3M adhesieve it will stick and not come off, until you scrape it off. Even that would be alright as could still get it off from the CAC side.

Cool.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
This is some funny sh!t all you guys tring to reinvent the wheel. I use no glue no damn hairspray. My #### works I have seen as high as 28 psi (stock boots and clamps, pulled from a scrap pile at a buds shop)and no boom.Good clamps,good clean boots and CLEAN pipes are all you need.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
This is some funny sh!t all you guys tring to reinvent the wheel. I use no glue no damn hairspray. My #### works I have seen as high as 28 psi (stock boots and clamps, pulled from a scrap pile at a buds shop)and no boom.Good clamps,good clean boots and CLEAN pipes are all you need.
been there, done that. and no, it does not work. trust me, i've tried everything in this thread. if it's not clamping, it's not clamping - the surface needs treatment other than cleaning.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sandpaper. 60 Grit, make it rough. Brake clean on the inside of the boot, make it rough and sticky.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sandpaper. 60 Grit, make it rough. Brake clean on the inside of the boot, make it rough and sticky.
I cleaned it really well with brake cleaner, then roughed up the inside of the boot and outside of the pipe as it was really smooth. Then I sprayed some hairspray in the boot and let it set up until it began to get tacky. Put it together and so far has held nicely, knock on wood.

Thanks for the help on this.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts