Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heard of a couple guys doing it, just wondering if it can be done, surely it can just wanna know if its a pain in the neck, or perhaps if its something that can be done in a shop say......at my farm :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
On the 6leaker yes it can be done but its worth the time to pull the cab

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Or just pull the motor. It's not that bad of a job.

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would like to pull the cab but im lacking the hoist, could always just pullinto the hay shed and loop a rope through a pulley and feed it through the sunroof and out the back sliding window, hoist er up and tie it off, ha ha, im thinkin cab on is a pretty big job, a little too big for a joe like myself, can anyone else chime in with experiance to this task...

·
Registered
596 Posts
i am in the same boat longhorn am lacking a hoist but want to do it myself any input from guys that have done this would be awesome

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm tellin ya it can be done with the cab on but is a royal pain. pulling the motor is way to much work for what your doin, O and I wouldnt suggest the rope through the sunroof, although it may work.LOL

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
If I would have had a lift I would have done it that way. I dont , so I just pulled the motor. Not as bad as you would think. I pulled it out by myself in little over half a day, the first time. got faster at it the more I did it. Wouldnt want to do it in cab. Heads way a ton. No room to get tools on anything. 245 ft/lbs sucks when the engine is on a stand. Couldnt imagine torquing head bolts in there. Wich ever way you go is going to be tons of fun though!!!!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good god how many times have you had to pull that freakin thing Irontx

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have little to no experiance in pullin motors....and ya i can imagine the stress on tryin to get tools in there....guess this is one for the local diesel shop :(

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Where you from longhorn

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im from calgary alberta...canada, our winters KILL 6.0L ha ha

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Indeed they do. I figured you a TX boy with your sig. I feel your pain when the winters role in. Workin in the hills two years ago we saw -62. I was in my 7.3 at the time and uhhhh what a joke. I dont think that truck ever shut off

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh i get that alot, i played college football for north texas for 2 years and then went to oklahoma for 1 and red shirted....its okay i was never a sooners fan anyway :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
LOL sounds like fun, I got kicked off the hs team two weeks before we took state. I was pissed. But ya as far as your truck, that is a solid setup for a DD and also a good start on a high HP truck if you wanted to push it one day

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh i would have loved to play my HS down there, beautiful state texas is, but im gonna look into HS and EGR delete, ill prolly keep the stock sticks, how could i make those more reliable any ideas??

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What motor oil are you runnin

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i get my oil changes done at the local diesel performance shop and they run pennzoil im pretty sure, i didnt even realize that you and i are havin the same convo on my other post!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
LOL ya. Stay away from pz and castrol and quaker state, they are all wax based oils, go with valvoline or mobil. And stay far away from rottela 15-40 with a 6.0 the rot. foams and destroys injectors. I run valvoline 5-40 in any diesel I have ever owned and converted alot of friends to it as it is a way better oil. Give that a shot for starters. One other suggestion would be once the HS and EGR delete are done would be to go with a better set of sticks.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Good god how many times have you had to pull that freakin thing Irontx
Twice in one month. Then once more a month later. My truck eats 6.0s:doh:LOL

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
I've done one cab on, one cab off. Cab on I didn't think was terrible. It sucked, having to be in uncomfortable positions, but when it comes to making your truck run you just suck it up. Hardest part is getting the heads out, you need atleast two people and deff. an engine hoist for them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts