Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

BYPASS OIL SYSTEMS

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Term3 
#1 ·
What bypass oil system do you have, what do you like, what do you hate, what would you change?
I have the Racor 802 and love the system. I like that it filters down to 1 micron and it adds 2.5 quarts of oil to the system. I hate that filters used to cost $7.00 and are now over $30.00. I have only 6 filters left and I am thinking of building a centrifuge system.

#4 ·
Oil shear is due to mechanical processes not how well it has been filtered. My research showed the Amzoil EaBP100 filter was the best option. Filters down to 1-2 micron, with reports it's good for 60k miles. I bought a kit that allowed a oil bypass and coolant filter on the same bracket. I don't like the overall cost but it's cheap insurance. I've used a different brand bypass years ago and switched cause of finding the filters and reducing costs. My truck has 277k on the original injectors so it's helping I'm sure. I run 7500 mile intervals and try to never exceed 10k. I ran 5w40 synthetics till a few months ago. I have now switched to Mobil 1 10w30 blended to "proof the pudding". So far it's doing just fine!!

#5 ·
I know what shear is that is why i asked about the bypass as filtration wont fix shearing. It just doesnt seem really cost effective IMO. But the 1-2 micron particle filtration is a big bonus (although overkill)

#7 ·
I looked into an oil centrifuges and decided against it due to the higher minimum flow rate needed, they don't work until your oil is up to operating temperature, need a 1" drain line with no sharp bends or you can get the one that uses an air pump to help carry the oil away, which is just one more thing to screw up. A 1 or 2 micron filter can be mount absolutely anywhere, has no moving parts to wear out (the centrifuge spins at a few thousand RPM), you know it's still working because its still hot to touch. Centrifuges work GREAT for large engines like over the road diesels or diesels that run day after day. For our trucks half the time they don't spin anything out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
The centrifuge system I am looking into does 55 gallons per hour and needs the same flow as I currently use on the Raycor. The upside is no filters to buy. The downside is I have to mount it above the valve cover to flow oil back to the engine. I like that my Raycor is mounted under my truck and unseen.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.