Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there were some post about people having buzzing noises and I for one had sugested it was something to do with the seat belt thing or something.

Well mine started doing this today. It sounds like an old fashion buzzer or something. But from what Ive been able to research on it there are relays located in that area. Its coming from under the cubby hole in the dash or around the drink holders. Its random and does it while the trucks running. So its not low voltage from bad batteries or something.

There are 3 relays in the area from what Ive been able to find so far, havent dived into the dash yet to find it as Ive been battling bad injectors I bought used that I had to swap out my old injectors to fix over and over so this buzz was a minor anoyance when it turned up. But trucks running great now so Im in search of a fix for the buzzing sound. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it? Was it the relays Im reading about?

One of the relays is suposed to be the flasher relay, ones the fuel pump and no one seems to know what the other one is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I get it in my van every blue moon. Sounds like coming from my brake booster area. The IDM is mounted to side, on the inside, of drivers fender, just under hood. I wonder if it can make this sound? & transmitting thru sheet metal. it will do it with KOEO.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Things are of course mounted way different on the van vs pickup so who knows. Mines definitely in the dash itself right behind the plastic, very local in that one spot and fades off even inches from a center point vibration wise.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
I think the other one is power doors. Same as the relays in the fuse panel under the hood.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it was silent today, maybe it will stay that way :D

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happened again this morning so I guess Im going to have to fix it...

Im going to try replacing the relays this week and see what that does.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
I think they are like 8 bucks or so. Might just want to swap all three and be done. Keep the old ones as spares you know two are still good.

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
My Ma's 00 has been having a quick "Buzzzttt" come from somewhere behind the dash when you turn the key on to wait for the glow plugs. Did it last year then didn't seem to do it in the winter. Spring came back around & it's been back ever since. Don't seem to be hurting anything, both battries have been disconnected & that didn't do anything. Don't feel like going through all the work to pull the chip & try running it like that so it just stays the way it is. I asked Diane & she said her Excursion has a buzz or 2 as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Crowz,
My truck does the same thing and one of the things that can cause the relay clicking is a failing multifunction switch. It can cause the turn signal relay to click. If you are hearing this when the truck is running that may be it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My truck makes a buzzing noise only while i WTS , I don't ever notice it while the truck is running though. Maybe I just can't hear it over the engine noise.
Actually my truck does the same thing. Buzzing while the WTS light first comes on. In my failed quest to figure this out I stumbled on the flasher relay/multifunction switch being a problem on some trucks Although it is not the flasher relay that clicks on my truck. It is one of the small black relays under the dash. I have switched the relays around but it still buzzes when the WTS comes on. Any ideas on what those two black relays next to the blue flasher relay control?

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I tracked mine down today as it went into mega buzz mode and wouldnt shut up. Which was good as it allowed me to catch the sucker in the act.

It was a blue flasher relay inside a black box deal behind the cubby hole in the dash.

I replaced it with one from napa and it stopped buzzing but I have heard it click a few times for no reason since changing it today so I know I didnt fix the problem, just masked it.

Touching the brake pedal would make the blue relay stop buzzing and so would using either blinker or using the hazard flasher button. The second you let off the brakes or stop the blinkers it would start back buzzing. Funky.

I know its not fixed but I have a hard time talking myself into a $75 multifunction switch as some sites sugest as a fix when there is nothing wrong with my truck other than the buzzing. Blinkers, stop lights and everything else works fine.

Some places mentioned chaffed wires or pinched wires that grounded out causing this too. Going to explore it more first.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
Need some of that synthetic blinker fluid.

Either that or try squirting some dielectric grease on the connector.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hopefully I just fixed the clicking/buzzing flasher relay finally.

I had bare spots in my trailer wires right at the plug on the bumper. Previous owner must of been testing them or some crazy crap. Taped those up and also I had a bulb broke off in the tag light socket. Between those two MAYBE its fixed. No clicking or buzzing so far. Ill give it a week before pronouncing it fixed for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This seems to be a ford thing. Our 2009 escape buzz’z from behind center dash when headlights are on. And it just started out of nowhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Flasher relay
No casey, i have not heard of any real solutions to this buzz. I may take it to ford when i find a handful of cash lying around somewhere. It is mid winter here in Mo and very cold. No way i’m tearing that car apart in these temps. Hope one of us finds the fix and lets the other one know. I do know that my specific problem is not a flasher relay but more to do with the headlights only

·
Registered
3 Posts
I realize this is an old post, but my 2000 F350 (7.3) just started doing this. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
No, have not figured anything out nor heard any info even close to my specific problem. When does your buzzing start? Mine starts when i turn on the headlights

1 - 20 of 21 Posts