Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, how’s it going. I’m planning on buying a 96 F-350 7.3
The truck is basically stock. It’s had some small work done, like new 4x4 locking hubs, new batteries, Temperature gauges, new wheel bearings, recent turbo rebuild from previous owner, 4” exhaust. It has 380,000km.
Its in pretty decent shape for the year and I like the truck, I talked to the guy and I’m able to make a deal to pick it up for $4500. I sent the info and a video to a buddy who knows more than me about Diesel engines, he let me know that the injectors are running lean and he said the truck has a lot of valve lash, I’m not too familiar with diesels and I’m wondering if anyone can check out a video for me and give me some info. I like the truck but where I’m at right now I don’t know enough about 7.3’s to make the decision. Any information helps. Hoping someone more knowledgeable can let me know if it’s worth it. I have a video of it starting and idling cold, it sounds a bit rough, I know they’re loud engines but I’m not sure what to look for. Owner says it’s the first start in 2 weeks.
I’m not sure how to attach the video to the post if it’s even possible

·
Project Shamu
2,707 Posts
The friend says it's running lean and has a lot of valve lash? Lol.

Post the video up to youtube or another hosting site, then link to it here so we can watch it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The friend says it's running lean and has a lot of valve lash? Lol.

Post the video up to youtube or another hosting site, then link to it here so we can watch it.
Yeah that’s what I was told, he said it’s definitely missing in valves for sure, also has a few lean injectors that aren’t giving enough fuel. Like I said I’m not too familiar with diesels so any info helps. I really like the truck but I don’t know enough about it to justify spending 4 grand

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
me thinks you need to find a new friend to diagnose engine issues.
if that was the first start in two weeks and it was cold out when started, it sounded fine to me. see what it sounds like when engine is warmed up. look to see if the check engine light is lit.
also check the trans for full function and no blinking over drive light.
is that a bullet hole in the driver side front of the bed?
$4,500 for a clean F350 4X4 diesel with 380,000 km on it is not a bad price at all.

i am wondering what that action was around 28 second mark to make the idle go up....
also, it had stacks on it at one time, which is told by the hole in the front of the bed.
stacks, and gauges on "A" pillar tell me the truck also most likely had or still has a chip or tuner in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
me thinks you need to find a new friend to diagnose engine issues.
if that was the first start in two weeks and it was cold out when started, it sounded fine to me. see what it sounds like when engine is warmed up. look to see if the check engine light is lit.
also check the trans for full function and no blinking over drive light.
is that a bullet hole in the driver side front of the bed?
$4,500 for a clean F350 4X4 diesel with 380,000 km on it is not a bad price at all.

i am wondering what that action was around 28 second mark to make the idle go up....
also, it had stacks on it at one time, which is told by the hole in the front of the bed.
stacks, and gauges on "A" pillar tell me the truck also most likely had or still has a chip or tuner in it.
He told me it is a high idle switch to help the truck warm up. He said he added tri pillar gauges and a 6 position chip, I’m not quite sure what that is I believe it’s just some aftermarket tunes. I can try to get a video of it warm for you guys to watch. So you think everything is decent from the clip you saw? Like I said I don’t know much about diesels so the video doesn’t do much for me. It almost sounded like it had a knock but that’s probably normal

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
engine warm video and driving will tell a lot.
i wonder why the "high idle" switch.
the computer should do that automatically when cold.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
engine warm video and driving will tell a lot.
i wonder why the "high idle" switch.
the computer should do that automatically when cold.
I have yet to see a OBS truck have a high idle from the factory

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
well, not high idle, but when cold it will kick idle up to around 800-900 rpm. then once the engine warms up a little it will drop back down to around 500-600

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
When I start my truck it stays right at it's idle, no ups or down swings, cold or hot it stays the same. So did one of my buddies when he had his 95.

Now I have heard that the Super Duties do have that feature.

·
Project Shamu
2,707 Posts
Yeah shamu has never idled up when cold, even in sub-0 temps.

I do agree you need to find a new friend, you cannot tell if a vehicle has valve lash or an injector is "lean" (which is impossible in a diesel) just from a video.

If it sat for 2 weeks and was cold, that's totally normal. Like said above though, get it warm and find out how it drives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, how’s it going. I’m planning on buying a 96 F-350 7.3
The truck is basically stock. It’s had some small work done, like new 4x4 locking hubs, new batteries, Temperature gauges, new wheel bearings, recent turbo rebuild from previous owner, 4” exhaust. It has 380,000km.
Its in pretty decent shape for the year and I like the truck, I talked to the guy and I’m able to make a deal to pick it up for $4500. I sent the info and a video to a buddy who knows more than me about Diesel engines, he let me know that the injectors are running lean and he said the truck has a lot of valve lash, I’m not too familiar with diesels and I’m wondering if anyone can check out a video for me and give me some info. I like the truck but where I’m at right now I don’t know enough about 7.3’s to make the decision. Any information helps. Hoping someone more knowledgeable can let me know if it’s worth it. I have a video of it starting and idling cold, it sounds a bit rough, I know they’re loud engines but I’m not sure what to look for. Owner says it’s the first start in 2 weeks.
I’m not sure how to attach the video to the post if it’s even possible
I used this advice when I purchased my 99 F-350 PS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts