Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My front fuel tank on my 1996 F-450 Powerstroke most likely has a defective fuel sensor since the tank is full but gauge shows empty. When I unplug the wire near the tank, the gauge jumps to full.

The rear tank shows a reading when I switch to that tank so guessing the switch is working. How would I test the sensor if I took it out of the tank, would a mechanic be able to test it in a shop? Want to make sure that is the culprit before I start throwing money at parts.

I went on E-Bay and looks like this sensor will cost over $150 and would like to know if there is a nationwide parts locator for wrecking yards which might find me one for less money. Thanks

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
the test is easy with the sender in hand and a multimeter in the other hand ;-)

i would just google it to watch a video and the Ohm specs should be easy to find also

·
PSN intsigator
6,094 Posts
You would have to check the resistance through the sensor

Sent from my super awesome outdated Samsung phone while waiting for masakimms# 500mA overdraw draw to catch fire which turd will be blamed for and we will be sitting on dustybumpers tailgate watching the fire and plotting against yommy.

·
Native Texan
8,985 Posts
It should read between 10-180ohms I don't remember which way is which but it should be inside that range as u sweep the sender from full to empty.
Nice user name same as my truck. Btw Welcome to the nation.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
Bronco GraveYard sells just the sender/float that has the correct resistance and only needs a small tab filed down to fit the old sender assembly and the float arm bent to the same shape as the original float arm. Way under $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts