Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
PSN Troublemaker
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you mechanics and techs out there. I'm going to be buying a cash car for commuting purposes in the next couple of months.

I've narrowed my search to a 2001-2008 Honda Civic. Is there any known issues or gremlins that I should be on the lookout for when I look at cars? I'll be going for 4door automatics.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If it applies to you, make sure it passes emissions before you hand over money. Seen a few in my circle lately having troubles with the vacuum system, causing emissions test issues. Not sure if the specific problem. Also, be careful it's not a flood car, seen several in that year range show up here lately.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Timing belts and service on the automatic transmission are things to look for . Scan it for codes if you can . Listen wheel bearing noise when you road test . Look at the tire wear pattern , that is a good indicator or issues / wear on suspension components .
Avoid cars with the air bag light on ( often is a aggravating wiring problem/ clock spring)
Look for a clean looking cooling system .
Make sure all the power windows work .

If it’s a hybrid you’ll want to avoid the car if there’s a thud when you take off from the CVT ...

That’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
don't play well w others
4,257 Posts
No to hybrid. Abs light like stated.
They are good cars, good on gas.
Keep in mind they are like #3 most popular stolen.......

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Plain and simple, take it to a shop that you trust and pay them to do a real through inspection from one end to the other. This will cost a bit but will save you money in the long run. Even if it is at dealer take it somewhere other than that dealer.

Do this even if you are a pretty good backyard mechanic. Repair shops usually know what to look for as far as problems

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: heavydoc

·
PSN Troublemaker
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do plan on getting the car looked over by someone who knows what they are looking at. Hopefully the seller will let me get the car inspected. Some sellers won't let you... I know the basics to look for, and do plan on taking a scan tool to verify that it has no codes.

·
Administrator
8,674 Posts
well, if the seller will not agree to a pre purchase inspection, that is usually a sign they are trying to hide something and it is time to walk away from that car and person.

Reactions: Bugman

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Plain and simple, take it to a shop that you trust and pay them to do a real through inspection from one end to the other. This will cost a bit but will save you money in the long run. Even if it is at dealer take it somewhere other than that dealer.

Do this even if you are a pretty good backyard mechanic. Repair shops usually know what to look for as far as problems

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
well, if the seller will not agree to a pre purchase inspection, that is usually a sign they are trying to hide something and it is time to walk away from that car and person.
Bingo

·
PSN Troublemaker
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Y'all know Super Duty trucks are on that list of most stolen vehicles?

https://www.google.com/search?q=most stolen vehicles 2019&hl=en-US
The older ones yeah. The newer ones with the laser cut smart keys are a little more difficult to steal.

Although the popular method lately is the theives will use a damn tow truck and take the vehicle in plain sight without anyone thinking anything is going on. Don't matter with kind of special key is has, won't work against a flatbed.

·
don't play well w others
4,257 Posts
He's just jealous

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Three Africans managed to grab my '14 4 years ago. Was at a mall with the then taste of the week and poof, come out - no truck. They had a plan to steal guns from gun shops by ramming thru the wall where they knew the guns were. Wanted a jacked truck to do it with, mine was their choice.

They had the sense to ram into each of the three shops they hit in reverse so as not to screw up radiator/etc but not the sense to quit after one or two... Like it's not gonna go out on the air that gun shops are being hit and to be aware. Anyway, at the third attempt they got a big surprise. Two are dead and the other in state prison now.

·
PSN Troublemaker
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update.

Finally got a car purchased. After looking over dozens of cars and discovering that nearly every car on craigslist was some nigerian car flipper with a rebuilt/salvage title listed as spotlessly clean... I came across this one. It has some paint blemishes, but I didn't expect it to look brand new.

Has 112k on it. One owner car from Brownsville Texas. Carfax came back really clean minus a minor fender bender from a few years ago.

Will be nice to get 30mpg while keeping the miles off my truck. A mechanic friend of mine says it needs a few minor things engine wise... serpentine belt, and a hose or two, but overall it is solid as can be.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts