Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every single person on this site is running big sticks/turbos etc.. its finally gotten the best of me, and i now want to be in the cool kids club :ford:

My truck is nearing 225k and even though it still runs amazing for that many miles i can tell its starting to get tired. Im looking into doing a 475-500hp solid, yet the most reliable build i can do. Studs, Rods, RR, full fuel system, adrenaline, 238/100's, and all neccesary gauges to monitor everything should get me there. Feel free to add your own advice or suggestions as well. I will be able to do most of the work myself, if not all so keep that in mind as far as labor costs go. Heres my questions:

-With 225k on the clock and the miles ill add before doing the build would it be a better idea to purchase a block from DI or "off the street" and build that one or just save that money for parts and build the current block in the truck now and hope it stays together from the added stress?

-Whats a rough estimate on the money ill need to ask the bank for LOL to do this build? Not including tranny.

-While the 38r is a proven turbo for this kind of build, id like to run something different as everybody and their momma has a 38r :poke: Maybe a 42r? How's WOP's QSSB?

-Still completley clueless on what fuel system to run. Do any companies offer a FULL SYSTEM? I mean like down to the filter and all. Is it cheaper to piece together a system as far as filters fuel lines etc go?

This build wont be happening tomorrow as i've still got 2 years left of school to get through but im staring to get ideas together now. Im sure there will be alot more questions added as this thread goes along.

Thank you all for your help:ford:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All these built 7.3's, and no one has any helpful insight for me?

geeze fellas...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The ideas you have so far are pretty good 238/100s can get you into the range you want looks like you left out 910s springs on your list and tuning. IMO you cant beat DIs price on just about everything you need and hes running a group buy right now on headers that would help you out on a bigger turbo since you dont want to go w/ a 38r which is the simpliest choice for you but I understand wanting to do something different. As for fuel system DI, ITP, and dieselsite offer complete kits I believe. Im sure someone w/ much more knowledge then me will chime in im just goin off my recent build. Hope it helps On edit borrow 10K you will always find something else you want.

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
sounds like you have a good plan...id find a used good condition long block and start building it then sell the stock parts you dont use...another turbo option to look into is the s400, not as common but can be built to do whatever you want it to....also if your gona be building it over the next year or two just slowly buy the parts so you dont have to barrow money..goodluck

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt will get the tuning job so since that's the case my injectors will probably come from Nate.

I'm still not dead set on which injectors I'm going with but I know I want at the minimum a 238cc and nothing smaller than an 80% nozzzle. Looks like I did forget to add springs to the list but yeah I will be going with the 910's.

Probably won't mess with headers as I don't really see a "need" for them on a DD street truck. Then again, who knows what'll happen by the time I start building.

·
Registered
301 Posts
right now my truck is in the hands of Logan at CenTex Diesel and David at DI. Between the 2 gents, i'm having quite a bit of work done and am pretty confident my truck will be into the 520hp range. Here is the list of items that i went with after talking to both guys:

38R
99.5 update kit with Intl bellowed uppies
DI RR
ARP Head Studs
DI FASS Fuel system
Adrenaline
Mini Me 238/100s
DI Tuning
6.0L intercooler
SouthBend Dual Disc Clutch
4" MagnaFlow Exhaust
DI Pushrods
Comp 910s
DI Cam
Complete Block Rebuild and Balanced
DI Girdle w/ ARP Main Studs
Coated Pistons & Bearings
Crower Billet Rods
ATI Dampner
Gauges (Boost, Fuel Pressure, Pyro, Trans Temp)
and I think thats it for now LOL

·
kinda hot in these rhinos
2,481 Posts
right now my truck is in the hands of Logan at CenTex Diesel and David at DI. Between the 2 gents, i'm having quite a bit of work done and am pretty confident my truck will be into the 520hp range. Here is the list of items that i went with after talking to both guys:

38R
99.5 update kit with Intl bellowed uppies
DI RR
ARP Head Studs
DI FASS Fuel system
Adrenaline
Mini Me 238/100s
DI Tuning
6.0L intercooler
SouthBend Dual Disc Clutch
4" MagnaFlow Exhaust
DI Pushrods
Comp 910s
DI Cam
Complete Block Rebuild and Balanced
DI Girdle w/ ARP Main Studs
Coated Pistons & Bearings
Crower Billet Rods
ATI Dampner
Gauges (Boost, Fuel Pressure, Pyro, Trans Temp)
and I think thats it for now LOL
A girdle and rods might be a little overkill for 500hp... but if you want to be on the safe side or are thinking you might shoot for 650+ later on rods and girdle now make sense

·
Registered
301 Posts
A girdle and rods might be a little overkill for 500hp... but if you want to be on the safe side or are thinking you might shoot for 650+ later on rods and girdle now make sense
yeah its overkill just for now, i plan on going bigger later. main reason is one of my pistons has to be replaced so since the the bottom end was getting opened up, i figured might as well just beef it up so idont have to do it later when i do decide to go with a bigger turbo and injectors, possibly 42R with b-codes

·
kinda hot in these rhinos
2,481 Posts
yeah its overkill just for now, i plan on going bigger later. main reason is one of my pistons has to be replaced so since the the bottom end was getting opened up, i figured might as well just beef it up so idont have to do it later when i do decide to go with a bigger turbo and injectors, possibly 42R with b-codes
thats what i figured was probably the case or would be eventually:redspotdance:

·
Registered
301 Posts
thats what i figured was probably the case or would be eventually:redspotdance:
Yeah i figured I'd spend the extra money now just to get it over with and save myself the extra labor costs later. plus 500 ponies is more than enough for now. once my wallet gets fatter i'll then decide on what to do for a larger turbo and injectors. :evil

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Matt will get the tuning job so since that's the case my injectors will probably come from Nate.

I'm still not dead set on which injectors I'm going with but I know I want at the minimum a 238cc and nothing smaller than an 80% nozzzle. Looks like I did forget to add springs to the list but yeah I will be going with the 910's.

Probably won't mess with headers as I don't really see a "need" for them on a DD street truck. Then again, who knows what'll happen by the time I start building.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You may want to get the cam from Matt as well.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think a cam is a neccesity TARM on my goals for this motor?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Necessity? no, absolutely not. But talk to Matt about exactly what he has done and what it does. You will be able to make your same goals with actually less stress on all your parts. The idea is to increase the efficiency of the engine. Since you are getting you tuning thru him do yourself a favor and speak to him about it. I can say with a engine pulled I would put on in regardless of where my goals landed. Not sure how much info he has or has not made public hence why I say talk to him. Then decide.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
The ideas you have so far are pretty good 238/100s can get you into the range you want looks like you left out 910s springs on your list and tuning. IMO you cant beat DIs price on just about everything you need and hes running a group buy right now on headers that would help you out on a bigger turbo since you dont want to go w/ a 38r which is the simpliest choice for you but I understand wanting to do something different. As for fuel system DI, ITP, and dieselsite offer complete kits I believe. Im sure someone w/ much more knowledge then me will chime in im just goin off my recent build. Hope it helps On edit borrow 10K you will always find something else you want.
I wouldn't do the comp 910 springs if your going to have the motor apart. There are much better options, the only big plus to the 910's is they fit without machine work.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I wouldn't do the comp 910 springs if your going to have the motor apart. There are much better options, the only big plus to the 910's is they fit without machine work.
What would you suggest and what is required to install them? I have been kicking around the valve springs choices and what to go with. It seems like there is a good idea of what we would like to see for pressure; but what meets those specs or gets the closest seems to be in question. I think many go with 910's and .030 shims because they are drop in, easy to find, and do not break the bank.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
What would you suggest and what is required to install them? I have been kicking around the valve springs choices and what to go with. It seems like there is a good idea of what we would like to see for pressure; but what meets those specs or gets the closest seems to be in question. I think many go with 910's and .030 shims because they are drop in, easy to find, and do not break the bank.
The Crower Springs, or the hypermax rev springs. Nate(Machinest) had alot of data that pretty much shows the 910's to be nearly a waste of time. Although they are slightly better than stock. Maybe he will post up that info. I don't know what thread it was in.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I recall that but also in that same thread or another one I recall Crower springs being said to not be any good either and actually having not much more than stock. I have seen talk about some having springs made for them such as Empire and WOP but have never seen any data or specs on where these are at. I recalled the numbers MAchinst said he fetl were ideal but it seems none including the hypermax even came close to those numbers. The hypermax were certinaly better then the others but I figured there had to be some being made that had specs closer to what was considered ideal.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Personally i'd buy the block in the classified if it still for sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts