Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Sponge
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing and axle swap and replacing the track bar and front shackle bushings. I bought Moog(track bar) and Energy Suspension (front shackle) two piece poly replacement kits. I started to press the one side into the track bar, but it is slightly bigger that the hole. So the poly bushing just starts to compress and bulge instead of sliding in. I'm sure it will fit, but I don't want to shred it up on the way in. And the shackle kit looks the same way. Which is a couple mm bigger all the way around then what I am squeezing it into. I'm also not sure about using lube because they should be snug once they're in there. I don't want them sliding around. Although, in the end, they're all bolted together. So I guess that's no big deal.

So what's the technique for squeezing these little buggers in without damaging them?

·
Sponge
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. Since no one has apparently installed any two piece replacement bushings or they're not willing to share their secrets, I'll offer my solution.

I sprayed a little silicone on the bushing. Then put a hose clamp around the replacement bushing half to compress it down to the diameter of the space it was going in. I didn't put the clamp on the very end of the bushing. I left a little sticking out so I could get it started in the track bar. Then, as soon as I was satisfied I had enough of the bushing in, I removed the clamp and pressed it the rest of the way in.

I was afraid that with the silicone it would shoot out of there and hit me in the eye as soon as I removed it from the press. But the little sucker stayed in there nice and tight. I was careful not to use too much silicone. Just on the inside edge that I had to squeeze down and force into the track bar.

Hope this helps anyone doing a similar job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts