Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 powerstroke started up this morning let it warm up two to three mintues took off down the road all of a sudden smoke poured out of my defrost vent. Fill the cab completely up. Smelled kinda like burnt wood shut heater off thought it might be the fan motor, but it still blow out air.... Where do i start???????

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
I had the same thing happen on an 84 gas truck. It was grass and leaves that had gone in through the fresh air vent and had stopped in the box that held the fan speed resistor. Needles to say the resistor set the leaves on fire and filled the cab with smoke. After it happened a couple of times it burnt every thing that there was to burn in the box except that it also burnt out the resistor to where all I had for a fan speed was high.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
IF the motor and heater core are fine I'd say you gotta bunch of #### down in there burning. If when it blows smoke out it leaves lots of condensation on the windows then it's your heater core.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Take out your blower motor and look for debris in there. If you find some remove it. You can also remove the resistor block and look in there as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Same as above. I had leaves get down in the heat duct and get set on fire by the blower rheostat. Make sure you turn your HVAC switch to off to prevent any power going to the rheostat until you can fix it. I had to replace the duct in my truck, I was damn lucky I didn't lose the whole truck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts