Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard guys saying to run a bottle of ATF to a tank of diesel. I pulled the pan on mine the other day to resolve a shifting issue, and so I've got 6-7 quarts of slightly used ATF just sitting around. Would it hurt to burn it? Seems a waste to toss it and then buy fresh to pour in the tank?

·
Registered
143 Posts
the problem with that is you got ffluid straight from the pan...i run alot of trans fluid sometimes 50 percent but its always centrifused before i run...i never just drain a pan and pour straight in a fuel tank..

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
i use a few rags in a funnel as a filter.i like burning used atf or hydraulic oil the truck almost runs better than with straight diesel.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So how much are yall putting in say, per tank? And how often? I've heard of this being good for lubing piston rings and injectors and what not but never done it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I've always heard guys saying to run a bottle of ATF to a tank of diesel. I pulled the pan on mine the other day to resolve a shifting issue, and so I've got 6-7 quarts of slightly used ATF just sitting around. Would it hurt to burn it? Seems a waste to toss it and then buy fresh to pour in the tank?
I would filter it first. Not sure I'd run it straight outta the pan.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
So how much are yall putting in say, per tank? And how often? I've heard of this being good for lubing piston rings and injectors and what not but never done it.
I haven't done it but i heard a quart per fill up.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
ive ran up to 5 gal per tank used atf,if im on a trip and have to buy ulsd i wll buy a quart of atf or 2stroke oil when i fuel up to help keep eveything lubed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ya no sense in throwing the stuff away. But i wouldn't be throwing any metal shavings in the tank. So filter it. I'd hate to see you cause more problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ME TOO!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
yeah i noticed a good difference at idol and take off with atf or 2stroke in the tank. its smoother

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Just be careful. Filter it, then take a good look at it. If you see shiny things in it, there is still metal shavings in there. Thats when you just get rid of the stuff and not worry about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree...

·
ohh bee ess
50 Posts
Use at least a quart of ashless 2T oil per tank (for dual tanks) or more...there's no such thing as too much lubrication when it comes to using $hitty ulsd. I always add a quart before fill up...it does seem to run smoother and quieter. Motor oil works good too, but the lighter 2T oil mixes easier. China Mart sells it by the gallon for $11.97.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, today I filtered all the tranny fluid I had through 2 layers of clean rags. I went ahead and put about a gallon of it in my rear tank. Now I have almost a gallon at home ready for next time I want to add to a tank. Went pretty good. I'm not sure how it would have turned out if this fluid had been old. It looked pretty good when I drained it, and I drained it only because I had to drop my pan to look at something on the inside. It wasn't because it was time to change it so being fairly new fluid may have helped me out too.

I wonder if there is any use I could get out of the used oil I drained from my truck today when I did my oil change??? Never put it in the tank before...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts