Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my badges off and used some rubbing compound to take the last bit of adhesive off the side. Well I guess I got a little too into it and burned through some of the paint and faded it some. I went back and waxed it twice and it's still faded. any idears on what I can do to get it back to normal? wet sand, buff, etc?

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
if it wont come back chances are you burned through the clear :doh: the only good way to fix that is to re clear the whole panel

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
if it wont come back chances are you burned through the clear :doh: the only good way to fix that is to re clear the whole panel
yup yup if you burned it it needs to be recleared!! if it isnt to back you might beable to buff it but it most likely wont come out

·
That'll slow ya down!
144 Posts
I knew a bodyman that used to fix stuff like that. He would put a heat lamp real close to the area to be workd and let it sit for a while. He would then work it with a buffer and 3M rubbing compound, not sure what grit, for a couple minutes and it looked like he would work around the outside moving in to the center like he was moving the clear in and then put the lamp back on it. He would do this several times just doing a little bit between heating sessions. He really could work miracles doing that but he has been at it for 30+ years. Not sure if I would attempt it but if the only other option is to re-shoot the whole panel with clear, might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I knew a bodyman that used to fix stuff like that. He would put a heat lamp real close to the area to be workd and let it sit for a while. He would then work it with a buffer and 3M rubbing compound, not sure what grit, for a couple minutes and it looked like he would work around the outside moving in to the center like he was moving the clear in and then put the lamp back on it. He would do this several times just doing a little bit between heating sessions. He really could work miracles doing that but he has been at it for 30+ years. Not sure if I would attempt it but if the only other option is to re-shoot the whole panel with clear, might be worth a shot.
This would have been a miracle. One you've burned through the clear it's gone. Now your taking rubbing compound ( witch takes off more material, ie the clear) around the area you already took to much off of.:doh: Once a clear coat hardens it NOT going to flow back. Post up a pic. If you burned through the clear , your fucted! Would have to be resrayed. Now if you only burned it ( most of the times this happens with eraser tools on white) you SOMETIMES can get away with colorsanding and polishing it out.

·
That'll slow ya down!
144 Posts
It might not have been rubbing compound, could have been some kind of polish but I don't know for sure I just remember that it was made by 3M. I agree with you that it won't "flow", I said "like" he was moving the clear in just describing the motion. I know it's a long shot but I have seen it done. It also depends on the size of the area, won't work on large areas.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did u do it by hand? If so I doubt u burnt thru. Most burn occurs on edges and corners is there any shine to it at all?
wax won't bring out stuffing from compound on dark colors.

Like they said post a pic.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
I would say you did not burn thru it.First off what brand type compound did you use?Second was it by hand?I do buffing and detailing for side money and have for many years.I would have to say it would be almost impossible to burn thru the clear unless you were using sand paper. More then likely you bought some rubbing compound like turtle wax or something and rubed it by hand and scratched the hell out of it and took all the shine away.What you need to do is have a friend or someone with a rotary buffer go over it with some different steps of polish and bring it back.For future referance do not use rubbing compound for this type of stuff. Goo Gone would have done the job just fine.

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say you did not burn thru it.First off what brand type compound did you use?Second was it by hand?I do buffing and detailing for side money and have for many years.I would have to say it would be almost impossible to burn thru the clear unless you were using sand paper. More then likely you bought some rubbing compound like turtle wax or something and rubed it by hand and scratched the hell out of it and took all the shine away.What you need to do is have a friend or someone with a rotary buffer go over it with some different steps of polish and bring it back.For future referance do not use rubbing compound for this type of stuff. Goo Gone would have done the job just fine.

yep pretty much exactly what I did. I have a rotary buffer so I'll get after it. FWIW, the goo gone didn't do anything on the adhesive so that's why I went with the striping wheel. i used the rubbing compound AFTER the stripping wheel to just finish everything off then came back with a wax, then polish. just must have scratched the hell out of it!

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
It wasn't the automotive style goo gone was it?That crap doen't work very good.Regular household goo gone is way better.If it was the household kind then I don't know why it didn't work.Gasoline also works pretty good for dissolving adhesive but you need to clean the paint good afterward and wax the area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts