Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to help me work toward solving a problem with my truck. The truck is an 02 Superduty,it has 06 axles, icon leveling springs, icon trac bar, pure performance four link and 06 steering box on it currently. The problem is the steering wheel is moving around a lot in my hands when traveling straight over less than smooth road surfaces.

I removed the coil springs from my truck. Using a crane I lowered the front of the truck onto the bump stops. Then I attached ratchet straps to the tie rod to lock it in position to make sure the front wheels would not turn.

Now I stood next to the cab looking at the steering wheel with the key in the ignition preventing the wheel from locking. I raised the front of the truck up, probably to the point where the shocks would have been fully extended. The first inch of travel the steering wheel did not rotate, but after that the wheel rotated probably three inches in a counter clockwise direction.

With the way I performed this test or in a test that you would consider acceptable, what amount of steering wheel rotation is acceptable ?

Thanks for any help or info you can offer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only has a 2.5 inch lift over a factory 06 truck, but the bars are not exactly at the same angle. With the balljoint style track bar though you really need to draw a line through the center of the joint not the bar and doing that to my truck, the line drawn is parallel to the drag link.

Im running the dual icon stabilizers for the axle.

I still havent had it aligned so I dont know what the caster is, and while that may be causing some of my problem I dont see that causing the steering wheel to turn while the suspension moves through its travel.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I have death wobble with a stock steering stabilizer. and when i get 38's i want it to turn easy so i got a hydro assist coming from west texas offroad it will be here wed night. I cant wait to get it on and see how my truck drives!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im interested in the results you get with the ram assist setup, since I cant turn the 35s ive got on my truck.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I still havent had it aligned so I dont know what the caster is, and while that may be causing some of my problem I dont see that causing the steering wheel to turn while the suspension moves through its travel.

You really ought to get it aligned and everything set up properly. If the caster is way off that could be your problem. You should ask pure performance what caster you need to be at. They could also help you with your issues.

Could you turn the steering wheel with your old setup?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Im interested in the results you get with the ram assist setup, since I cant turn the 35s ive got on my truck.
This just blows me away. An 08 truck I drove I could turn the steering wheel stopped by hand with 38's on the truck. Then on my truck with 12" of lift and 40's I could turn the wheel by hand. It was a little tougher, but manageable. I guess some are worse then others. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truck could turn 265 75 16 tires no problem.

With 38 15.5 I could not turn the tires sitting still.

285 75 16 tires were borderline. It would turn them but I could tell it was at its limit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts