Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go ive been working on this for a little bit but I'll start from the beginning
got an 83 f250 for 500 bucks straight 6 4x4 manual total turd, rear axle is shredded, trans wont stay in a gear, head gasket is wiped out, radiator blown, heater core blown, windows wont roll up and down, radio doesnt work. Has 4 new offroad toyos reason it was bought 3 wheels bent so bad they couldn't be balanced so I threw the rear drive shaft in the bed drove in 4 high 30 miles home and its painted camo and the bumpers are welded on

Totally going to the junkyard, then work dried up and my other ride blew up and I was stuck with this. Just so happened my buddy got screwed on an 88 bronco with no title that was going to get chopped up and boy did I need alot of parts so that worked out good and rolled a 78 axle under the rear and took off

Junkyard utility bed torched off the bumpers made brackets fenders cut out the rust rolled welded ALOT of bronco parts and some primer, engine and a trans was the daily until work picked up again then bought a new truck and that's what brings us to the powerstroking off old ******.

Now old ****** has been sitting for a year thinking of what I should do with it seeing how I'll never get the money out of it and it gets 6mpg with a utility bed and welder.
Then covid hits I'm on unemployment for 3 weeks and stimulus checks are coming in and work is like 30 hours a week and I see a 99 powerstroke rolled still running dude cant sell because everyone went covid psycho so 2800 bucks and I got the entire truck minus dash and column, frame and cab

And so it begins the powerstroke on it's way home after hearing it run a few weeks before it's ready to go the last run with the slow 6 fuel guzzler

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

First things first I got 99 axles goodbye ttb and the springs wont take it so a junkyard trip is in order

Also I think were going to need bushings

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome to PSN! Looks nice! From the picture it looks like it was a manual. Did you get the 6 speed with it?

Cj

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a manual I did not buy the 6 speed the guy just had it rebuilt and wanted some crazy money for it that another guy had gladly already paid so I was on the hunt for a 5 speed or at least a 6.9 bellhousing for the np435

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I had been pulling a 6.9 at the picknpull in reno for the motor mount plates and what not, same year as mine. Junkyards were pretty scarce still because of the virus the old lady and I had gone to town so I figured I'd pick up the springs lo and behold they had just put out an 89 7.3 idi with a 5 speed 4x4 trans looked new painted and stamped so of course I ran to a harbor frieght and yanked it trans problem solved left there for 200 bucks or so

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So I got the cast iron spacer with it but it wouldn't work the two holes that bolt it to the block beneath the trans bolts didn't exist on my early 99 and there wasn't room for anything like that so I called my buddy jason he runs a small shop in reno rebuilds 6.0 and 7.3s if anyone needs a motor and he gave me an aluminum powerstroke spacer which fit perfectly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Front axle and 350 leaf springs from the idi used those poly bushings and spread the leaf springs half an inch not a permanent fix but needed it to be a roller brake lines bolted right up had to get ubolts made and find a ubolt plate for the diff side at a junkyard and the shocks lined right up I somehow lost the ball joint off the steering to the Pittman arm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Got rid of the 78 axle and the sterling in. went ahead and scrapped the wheels two tanks and ttb. no problems with the rear the larger and smaller rear lines were reversed from 83 to 99 just spun the t around. shocks wont work forward anymore because were using the superduty tank cut the rivets on one side left the other to measure and drill later on

·
PSN intsigator
7,288 Posts
Welcome to psn from WNC. Looks like a fun build

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you glad to be part of it.

Got the 5 speed cleaned up it's been painted and marked with a paint marker with the year and make not sure where it's from engine was leaking really bad on it the shift pattern feels tight no play in the shaft seems actually really nice I've rebuilt a few manuals looked legit to me
The boot is gone I'll have to find one

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been slicing down this harness going well I hit a snag seems I cut a connector off that went to the pcm anyone have any idea where it goes I believe its pin 41

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like a baro connector I thought that was under the dash in early 99 I cant see colors too well so its proving to be difficult haha

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Is that what you pulled out?? Yikes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's still more I guess that thing was more loaded than me 😅 I tried a test fit before it wasn't happening couldn't fit it in there

·
Native Californian
544 Posts
Following along. I was going to send a pinout, but looks like you got that part figured. A lot of these threads go by the wayside. Hopefully you keep us updated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts