Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to PSN, and recently just purchased my first diesel. 2001 F-250 crew

cab 4x4 7.3 with 116,000 miles and 4" lift. I've added AFE intake, 4" turbo back

exhaust, and edge evolution programmer. i will be using it for hauling a trailer

once a week, bean head couple times a year and the rest to and from work. i

have heard nothing but good things about the 7.3, but I'm wondering if there is

anything else i can do to make it even MORE reliable? it does shift a bit hard

but that doesn't bother me to much. any input is appreciated, i know I'm a

newbie but I'm willing to listen and learn as much as i can about my truck and

diesel's in general :ford:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Guages , send trans to bts,john woods or twisted, upgrade the trans cooler asap, tunes from gearhead.

Get a spare cps and leave it in the glovebox

Buy autoenginuity

Change the oil

Maybe do a garrett 38r turbo

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
I think you'd find a 6 position chip to be more suited for your application than the Edge. We have a ton of great tuners on site, its just a matter of who you like.

I run a 6 POS with Beans Tunes, my tunes are...

High Idle
Tow
Econ
Daily Driver
Whisper
Idle Lope/HOT

Its always a good idea to add a coolant filter.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yea good news. The 7.3 was bulletproof from factory. Auto trans not so much. Save 5k for a BTS. And youll have a truck that will run and last you a long, long time. Look into custom tunes to help with power.

Search on here and read a lot.

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
Welcome.....If your not having problems with your trans leave it alone unless your going to be towing heavy or pulling. at most I would do is freshen it up with a new converter but only if your having problems. I have 2 7.3s with autos and both have 183xxx and 164xxx miles all original both have had 10,000 plus trailers if fact f350 dually is going to ohio with the 5er (13,000#) this weekend. remember the more you futz with these trucks the more you will futz with them......And as far as this place goes there are a lot of good people here SOME KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT SOME DON'T HAVE A FU##ING CLUE that will be what you have to learn and watch for....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
madmaxz- what gauges do u suggest, 2 or 3? trans and what else? also what would garrett turbo do for me? been looking into it but do not know enough about them yet.

CTC-where and how do i get the beans tunes?

little confused on the tranny part, should i leave it or send it in? thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have some good news, i do have a warranty on the motor and tranny for 3 years, BUT if the tranny were to go out on me, could i have BTS do the work and warranty still cover it? or would that void it? jw, also i do have the muffler still on my exhaust, but not the cat, would it be worth it to do a full straight no muffler?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you have an 01 with a automatic trans then you shouldnt have a CAT. I (as well as many others) run no muffler, it adds a drone you my not like on longer trips but as far as being 'worth' it.....it isnt going to add horse power but the truck may feel a little more lively.

As far as BTS goes I doubt that your warranty would be covered by them. Chances are your warranty is from the place you bought it from and if so then they will have to perform the work to be covered. You must have paid a nice premium to get a warranty on a 12 year old truck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks ill probably just straight it then, ya i did pay a decent amount for the warranty but this is my first big purchase of my life, I'm only 20, so i decided in my case it would be worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I dont disagree.....just jealous that you have one. I got a 5 min or 5 mile warranty when I bought mine.LOL

·
Registered
372 Posts
4" exhaust, Boost, EGT, & Trans Temp gauges. I also run an evo tuner on my 2000. I keep the race tune loaded & like the performance, but have to keep an eye on egt's. I would agree that the 6-pos chip with custom tunes would be a better way to go; just haven't gotten around to it myself.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do the exhaust, get tunes from a reputable tuner, get a coolant filter, get gauges, and get the cheapo larger capacity trans cooler and a BTS valve body for the trans.

Just be smart about driving the auto (no burnouts/4 wheel drive launches/etc) and it should last you a long time.

My trans has been living for 10k miles with 545 rwhp...... stock trans 135k on it with BTS converter, valve body, pump mods, and larger cooler.

Watch your trans temp gauge, watch your exhaust gas temperature, change your oil every 5k with good synthetic oil and either a Motorcraft filter or the BAOF, and change your fuel filter every 2 oil changes with the Motorcraft fuel filter.

You will enjoy the truck and it will run forever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well you shouldn't be jealous, drove it back from the dealership and went straight to my mechanic to have it looked over, since i assumed my warranty was "awesome" and "the best warranty out there" like they said, had oil cooler leak, and needed all new steering parts. warranty didn't cover it :mad: so I'm paying $600 out of my pocket that i shouldn't be paying, DONT BUY FROM BLAIR AUTO MALL, blair nebraska. after asking around about them its happened to a few of my dads friends. but anyway. currently looking for gauges and a garret turbo, can anyone give me more details on the turbo? if there reliable etc. love this site already!! :bowfast:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I think they all leak oil. LOL Front end work is not too uncommon either. A common area for an oil leak is turbo o rings or a leak in the valley that runs down the back of the engine. Dont let anyone tell you it is a rear main before you investigate it.

Also try doing some work on it yourself, you can save a lot of money and there are plenty of people here that can help you along the way.

Why are you looking for a turbo? Are you looking to upgrade? If so I recommend doing other things first.

I would start by checking your glow plug system before it gets cold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
:whs:
Before getting too far into performance goodies, get at least the basic gauges: EGT & trans temp. Other nice things to do BEFORE making a lot more HP includes an upgraded torque converter, trans cooler (6.0L is probably the best) and valve body. A BTS transmission is awesome, but pricy. The basic upgrades I mentioned covers the weakest links in the 4R100 trans. Of course, with a BTS all the weak links are taken care of. I'm pretty new to the diesel game too. This board is a great place for info, and most of my suggestions are echoes of advice I've been given.. Just ignore the occasional "mine's bigger" contests people get into on this (and any other) forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya I'm looking for gauges, do you guys have a good link to any places where i could get those? I'm looking for a package set so i don't have to buy the pod separate, ill start looking today for 6.0L trans cooler, i have a good friend who's a mechanic that could help me. i mean i do have a whole 54" snap on box full of tools so idk why i wouldn't consider using it :doh: I'm thinking do the trans cooler and valve body, then save some money for awhile then go with an upgraded torque converter. that sound like the right way to approach this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wish I would've known you were looking at the Auto Mall...that place is a huge joke. Looked at a 6.0 one time there. Took it for a test drive, check engine light on, wouldn't go over 45 mph and smoked white like a freight train. Told the salesman I think there was an issue with the truck (knowing that it was likely the normal 6.0 problems) and he tells me, honest to god, "I bet the coil packs are wet...I told them not to power wash the engine or that would happen...that's why you never wash a diesel motor!" I looked at him and said "I bet you're 100% right" HAHA

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There are plenty of vendors here that can help with gauge packages, just put up a post.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts