Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grabbed some scrap 11Ga. iron laying around and welded a mount for my Fuelab pump and a couple of Baldwin filters. The Iron still needs to be painted so it isn't finished yet. All I had was a Miller 140, Jigsaw, and a handdrill. Oh, and a bunch of trips to the hardware store. LOL

I'll be running -10 SS braided from the Hellmann sump to the Summit prefilter screen (75microns) through the fuel assembly I mounted and then to some 5/8 hard line. Then to -6 into a ITP bowl delete kit, into a ITP RR system. Then out of the regulator into -6 SS braided back to another 5/8 hard line back down to -6 SS braided dumping into the filler neck returning to the tank.

It might be a little over kill but it is pretty much a clean setup. I'm going to have to mount this on the outside frame rail driver side.

Thanks guys for giving me ideas on how to build this mouse trap.....

Here's some pictures...

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
that looks sharp but isnt the pump better off between the filters ?? that way if the pump comes apart the 2 micron filter will protect the injectors?? and the water separator will keep water and dirt from the tank getting into the pump?? or am i looking at your set up the wrong way??
im asking cause im getting parts together to make my own set up as well..

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks sharp but isnt the pump better off between the filters ?? that way if the pump comes apart the 2 micron filter will protect the injectors?? and the water separator will keep water and dirt from the tank getting into the pump?? or am i looking at your set up the wrong way??
im asking cause im getting parts together to make my own set up as well..
I can see what your thinking....

The Baldwins are after the pump and the pump is protected by a 75 micron screen filter, it's that black little stinger thing on the right of the assembly.
This way there is no drag or resistance the pump has to draw from. Hopefully this pump will have an easy and long life...

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
now i see...its like having 3 filters....i like that...nice work...

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I grabbed some scrap 11Ga. iron laying around and welded a mount for my Fuelab pump and a couple of Baldwin filters. The Iron still needs to be painted so it isn't finished yet. All I had was a Miller 140, Jigsaw, and a handdrill. Oh, and a bunch of trips to the hardware store. LOL

I'll be running -10 SS braided from the Hellmann sump to the Summit prefilter screen (75microns) through the fuel assembly I mounted and then to some 5/8 hard line. Then to -6 into a ITP bowl delete kit, into a ITP RR system. Then out of the regulator into -6 SS braided back to another 5/8 hard line back down to -6 SS braided dumping into the filler neck returning to the tank.

It might be a little over kill but it is pretty much a clean setup. I'm going to have to mount this on the outside frame rail driver side.

Thanks guys for giving me ideas on how to build this mouse trap.....

Here's some pictures...

Nice, looks similar to what I have here. I used a different water separator that is not a restriction at all on the prepump side.

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, looks similar to what I have here. I used a different water separator that is not a restriction at all on the prepump side.
Thank for vote of confidence David, I just wanted to free up the front side of the pump while keeping the rocks and low flying birds out of the pump at the same time. What are you using for a prepump water separator? All I've seen is the Dahl units. Is that what your using?

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I have been told, water seperators work better on the suction side of a pump. :shrug:
Your right! I did a search on the web and found a wealth of information. Seams the water either gets pushed through the filter element or never gets a chance to settle at the bottom of the filter. Not good in either case.

So I moved things around a bit.

Thanks for the tip!:bowfast:

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
There you go, now that looks almost identical to my Fuelab setup! :D

I am curious to know what the white spacers are made out of, hard plastic? I don't have anything in the way of dampening vibration on mine and the pump is fairly quiet with very minimal vibration.

Dave

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Your right! I did a search on the web and found a wealth of information. Seams the water either gets pushed through the filter element or never gets a chance to settle at the bottom of the filter. Not good in either case.

That looks good but in my opinion you do not need the 75 micron screen in front of the water separator but since you have it you might as well run it.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts

]
that looks better.... nice job...

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That looks good I agree the 75 is a bit redundant but you got it so why not. Should keep any real big stuff from the water sep. I also prefer the Baldwins over others as from what I have seen and read they tend to have the thickest casing which given their location IMO is a benefit. It also seems to be what I find at local truck stops just in case.

Dave,

What water sep are you running and will this be the one on the new complete fuel system kit you are getting ready to release?

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking for a set of Aluminum spacer, but only could find these Nylon bushings. They are hard! We'll see how they hold up in the AZ heat. I think I have some Derlin laying around somewhere. I'm sure the Derlin would be a much better material to use.

There is always room for improvement, right? :mad:

Good to hear that your setup is pretty quiet. I'm thinking of sandwiching a thin sheet of rubber between the mount and the frame just to kill any vibes that might surface from the mount.

I am curious to know what the white spacers are made out of, hard plastic? I don't have anything in the way of dampening vibration on mine and the pump is fairly quiet with very minimal vibration.

Dave

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks good but in my opinion you do not need the 75 micron screen in front of the water separator but since you have it you might as well run it.
That looks good I agree the 75 is a bit redundant but you got it so why not. Should keep any real big stuff from the water sep. I also prefer the Baldwins over others as from what I have seen and read they tend to have the thickest casing which given their location IMO is a benefit. It also seems to be what I find at local truck stops just in case.
The reason for the inline filter originally was to cut down on draw resistance, protect the pump, then to push fuel through the two Baldwin filters. I agree that it's not needed now. It's just that now I might need the additional length that the inline filter offers. :mad:

Don't you just love it when a plan goes down in flames.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I was looking for a set of Aluminum spacer, but only could find these Nylon bushings. They are hard! We'll see how they hold up in the AZ heat. I think I have some Derlin laying around somewhere. I'm sure the Derlin would be a much better material to use.

There is always room for improvement, right? :mad:

Good to hear that your setup is pretty quiet. I'm thinking of sandwiching a thin sheet of rubber between the mount and the frame just to kill any vibes that might surface from the mount.
Ah, I see, you're using them as spacers, not dampeners. ;) The rubber between the bracket and the frame is a good idea, I may have to see if that would help mine. I'm all for keeping vibes to a minimum.

Dave

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
Looks good! Quite a heavy duty bracket being that thick. Haha

Here's my setup. Stock pump for now but left room on the bracket for a fuelab pump. I had to make mine as short as possible to fit within a certain area and this was the best I got. Don't mind the rust...that's one thing I'm in the middle of taking care of this winter and it doesn't look like that anymore. ;)

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, it cracks me up that a one ton long bed truck has so little room underneath it. Looks like you have even less then mine!

I purposely built it strong. I don't want it failing while off roading in the desert or out on the fire trails out here. Who knows maybe I'll take a 2" hole saw to it to remove some weight before I paint it. You never know....

Looks good! Quite a heavy duty bracket being that thick. Haha

Here's my setup. Stock pump for now but left room on the bracket for a fuelab pump. I had to make mine as short as possible to fit within a certain area and this was the best I got. Don't mind the rust...that's one thing I'm in the middle of taking care of this winter and it doesn't look like that anymore. ;)

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
A single filter base/mount won't even fit on the inside of my framerail on that side. My fuel tank is a few inches away from the transfer case. Then the side steps on my truck have big brackets that attach to the framerail so I had to confine it to in between the 2. It definitely took some thought to get it as clean as I wanted.

Sorry for the thread hijack...:(

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
I mounted mine on the inside of the frame rail. I want to redo my hoses around my pump and filters tho, it looks kind of sloppy and I want to run a hard line from my sump to my prepump filter.

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Horror of it all.....!
Good thing I don't have access to a CNC Water Jet!

I'm getting closer.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts