Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start building my truck and need some advice, so far I know I want around 550 HP. This will be a somewhat drawn out build that I will probably do in steps but I'm trying to get a plan together.

I'm amassing parts right now for a built 4r100 swap (probably BTS)

I know I want hybrids but I'm not sure which size and what nozzles
I'm looking at compound turbos as I will tow with the truck and I want the exhaust to stay fairly clean

add an Intercooler, headstuds, valve springs, I'd go ahead and port and polish the heads and fire ring them, modded oil (would modded 17* work or would I need more?), and new fuel system.

I'm sure I'm missing plenty but it's a start so set me straight. What am I missing, what do I need to change?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Look at my sig. Thats what I am shooting for. I just need a fuel system. You will need big oil more then likely.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Compounds?

Do plan to do this build in one shot to build up to it?

Budget?

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
hey NE with 320CC injectors you could do an easy 600 with the right turbo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I want compounds, it will be somewhat drawn out. The budget is not set, I'm not going to do it cheap but I don't want to waste money on it, I will be doing all of the work so there'll be no labor to worry about

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
hey NE with 320CC injectors you could do an easy 600 with the right turbo.
Stock rods make me worry. :doh:

Will get new rods next tax season.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Yes, I want compounds, it will be somewhat drawn out. The budget is not set, I'm not going to do it cheap but I don't want to waste money on it, I will be doing all of the work so there'll be no labor to worry about
There is a good set in performance parts for cheap

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I would take a hard look at empires procharger setup, the torque will hit early and no lag.
The ic would be last very low bang for the buck vs power, or cooling. Proper turbo will cool faster, you'd be better off diverting those funds to either a better hpop orairbags and a helwig rear swaybar if you tow. At 550 you prob want 250 or bigger sticks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would take a hard look at empires procharger setup, the torque will hit early and no lag.
The ic would be last very low bang for the buck vs power, or cooling. Proper turbo will cool faster, you'd be better off diverting those funds to either a better hpop orairbags and a helwig rear swaybar if you tow. At 550 you prob want 250 or bigger sticks.
I've got a vortech supercharger sitting in my garage that I've toyed with putting on the truck

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I set of 238cc 100's and a 42r with the normal supporting mods would get ya 550 or more. And with the right tuning you can tow and everything else no problem

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
That is a idea. I sure love me Procharger setup. I think for a tow rig that serves double duty as a play truck the Supercharger (Procharger) and a turbo are a great setup. I think they have more advantages over compound turbo's, but what would I know..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you don't mind me asking, what is the model and trim of your supercharger so I can compare it to the one I have. If I do go that route what turbo should I go with for the big end?

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
if you don't mind me asking, what is the model and trim of your supercharger so I can compare it to the one I have. If I do go that route what turbo should I go with for the big end?
I am running a F1-D

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That thing would allow you to run the larger 42r (4202) easy would it not? Add some fuel like maybe 350/300s sweet!!! But that would be a tiny bit more than 550 I think.;)

Rockrunner86,
When you finally retire that truck that would sure be a nice upgrade to the 38R like you were talking about.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
That thing would allow you to run the larger 42r (4202) easy would it not? Add some fuel like maybe 350/300s sweet!!! But that would be a tiny bit more than 550 I think.;)

Rockrunner86,
When you finally retire that truck that would sure be a nice upgrade to the 38R like you were talking about.
I am sure I could run a 4202 just fine once my goals change. But right now until I have the extra coin laying around for a Class 8 truck. I am perfectly happy with the power output I have currently, coupled with my ease of EGT control.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I thought you did not have any egts to control. :poke:

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
I thought you did not have any egts to control. :poke:
Sorry wording. But ya I pretty much can't get them above 1300 on a flat on the mat run 1 - 6th gear.

Got some updated tunes from Matt today. Night and day better, and to think I was already happy. The old tunes were better than my truck ever had been prior to the Procharger. Its even better now. :D

Almost got pulled over on the way out to Riffraff West tonight. Yikes. 65 in a 45. Lucky for me the police officer was doing paperwork and on the phone..

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yes I know Matt had said he had them very conservative as he had thought your injectors were running larger nozzles or something to that effect. You had plenty more fuel he was going to turn loose on the update. Sounds like it worked very well. :D

I have completely switched my plans around now to put a PC into my build now. After talking with you it is exactly what I am after. Your PC but with the 42. Hopefully before the end of the year. We will see. May have to do it in two steps.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
Yes I know Matt had said he had them very conservative as he had thought your injectors were running larger nozzles or something to that effect. You had plenty more fuel he was going to turn loose on the update. Sounds like it worked very well. :D

I have completely switched my plans around now to put a PC into my build now. After talking with you it is exactly what I am after. Your PC but with the 42. Hopefully before the end of the year. We will see. May have to do it in two steps.

Yeah, I have some more fuel on hand. ;) But its been raining so damn hard I can't use any of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rock, do you know how much boost the procharger is adding?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts