Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question that might involve a long answer. I've been around for a bit, but wasn't too interested in going for big power builds, I was just planning a chip and call it good.

But I now find myself surrounded by a bunch of cummins and duramax's and the lone ford. Some of them are bigger numbers than I want to go, but I still want to earn some respect for my ford.

Whats the best budget minded mods to go with to get above 500hp. The higher the better with keeping the budget in mind. I think I'm planning on an adrenaline pump, RR, but I'm lost on injectors and turbo. I want a good, reliable over 500 truck. This is mostly a DD that hauls my family, but occasionally will haul a car trailer or enclosed trailer, and a TT in the future.

I have to haul the motor out to do a pan in the next few months, so trying to come up with a plan of action before doing so. I'll be throwing forged rods in while the motor is out.

And to add a second mindset in there, what could I spend a lil more on to get better results?

The other thought, is to sell both my 7.3's and buy a 6.4, and spend 2g's and call it a day? (this would be painful, I love my ex)

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
1st of make sure that 01 has forged rods.

Then I would go with 238cc hybrids with 80 or 100% nozzles. Now a turbo is a different story. I'm doing over 500 with a 38r but I have slightly ported heads. You could get close but not over. Someone else will chime in for a turbo.

And I would do Headstuds, Push rods, and valve springs as well. Also you will have to have a built tranny and good tuning.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st of make sure that 01 has forged rods.

Then I would go with 238cc hybrids with 80 or 100% nozzles. Now a turbo is a different story. I'm doing over 500 with a 38r but I have slightly ported heads. You could get close but not over. Someone else will chime in for a turbo.

And I would do Headstuds, Push rods, and valve springs as well. Also you will have to have a built tranny and good tuning.
we'll check, but if not, I'll be throwing forged rods in.

Pushrods and springs are a cheap safety factor for me, so those will be a gimmie. Headstuds was a thought, but which ones? Arp's are well known, but I heard another manu had stronger studs.

238cc hybrids, are rosewood DIY stage 3's just regular stage 3's, or are those hybrids? I looked it over, but couldn't really tell. I saw someone recommend a 38r with a 1.15 housing, but then saw someone else say another turbo was same money, and would provide better results.

This whole turbo/injector combo thing has me puzzled.

Built tranny is already in there. Have 30k miles on it, now she's ready for some abuse before warranty is up. LOL

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
238cc with 80's or 100's
Modded H2e or 38r
Full Fuel System
Adrenaline Hpop (if yours is weak, a good 17* will oil hybrids fine)
Studs, Springs

You will be sitting right at 500 if not a tad over

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
238cc with 80's or 100's
Modded H2e or 38r
Full Fuel System
Adrenaline Hpop (if yours is weak, a good 17* will oil hybrids fine)
Studs, Springs

You will be sitting right at 500 if not a tad over
This is a pretty good setup and well known. I would go with the 38R if you are doing a budget build.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Just a quick question that might involve a long answer. I've been around for a bit, but wasn't too interested in going for big power builds, I was just planning a chip and call it good.

But I now find myself surrounded by a bunch of cummins and duramax's and the lone ford. Some of them are bigger numbers than I want to go, but I still want to earn some respect for my ford.

Whats the best budget minded mods to go with to get above 500hp. The higher the better with keeping the budget in mind. I think I'm planning on an adrenaline pump, RR, but I'm lost on injectors and turbo. I want a good, reliable over 500 truck. This is mostly a DD that hauls my family, but occasionally will haul a car trailer or enclosed trailer, and a TT in the future.

I have to haul the motor out to do a pan in the next few months, so trying to come up with a plan of action before doing so. I'll be throwing forged rods in while the motor is out.

And to add a second mindset in there, what could I spend a lil more on to get better results?

The other thought, is to sell both my 7.3's and buy a 6.4, and spend 2g's and call it a day? (this would be painful, I love my ex)
powerstroke and budget build?

whats your budget?

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
whats your budget?
^^^What I was wondering.

If I showed you my credit card and bank statements from the last couple years I think you'd puke. I almost did when I added it up. And I'm not over 500. Glad I have a secure job.

Like everybody is sayin though, 238's and a 38r should get you pretty close, as long as you don't skimp the supporting mods.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Re: Budget power buld? LOLhp

Over 500 and budget are not good friends. Biggest problem is the. Req tranny mods.
Ie replacement....300 to 450 maybe modded tc vb coolers and filters. But 500hp and up stock parts start to snap or burn up, unless you drive easy. So figure a 4k bts
Next high dollar item are the 2+k injectors, 1-2k turbo, 500 in fuel mods, 500+ adrenaline,
Then you have rods,springs,pushrods maybe some head work.figure 2 to 3k if you do the head work.
So there is a quick 11 grand . Maybe worth waiting to see what the scorpion can do.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I am in the process of building to the same basic power levels. This is what I have come up with.

* 238 Hybrid 80% Nozzle

* Comp Cam 910 Valve Springs

* Diesel Innovations Push Rods

* H11 Head Studs ( The ones stronger than ARPs you likely are speaking of)

* DieselSite Adrenaline HPOP

* DIY Fuel System (Regulated Return): Dual SD pumps (do a search for Marty's Setup) Think Salvage Yard.

* Turbo: decide up to 500 or over. 38R up to and H2E (modded) or I really like the look of the WOP GQSSB and others speak highly of them. Its a modded S3000 by Bell Turbo

* Tuning All I can say is on this forum you have a good amount of high quality choices. I say go with whomever you get the injectors from as that may save you some $$$ Matt, Swamps, Beans, DI, .......

* Forged Rods if you end up finding PMRs

* BTS Tranny and Converter as the stock tranny would likely sh!t itself just being put into drive behind that package :eek:

* 6.0 Transmission Cooler

* Of course upgraded exhaust and air

* Plus all the little things you never count

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
On all things there are three unique aspects: Cost, Quality, and Speed. Those three items form a triangle where you can have any two of the sides, but not the third. Since you are looking for low cost, and presumably high quality - that means the more you can take the time to do yourself the more you will be able to meet those goals. You have stated that your on a budget - but you haven't stated what the budget is. A budget of $5000 will go a lot farther than a budget of $50. Help us help you.

i say trade your stuff in on a 6.4
Fear is the path to the darkside. Fear of being beaten. Fear of not keeping up with the Jones's. Fear of failing. Be mindful of the darkside and its temptation for the easy path because anything worth doing is not easy.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
5~600 i would mod a 7.3 and you will still come out ahead.
anything more and a 6.4 and tunner looks pretty sweet.
other then the 40k price tag.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yea a budget would be good. I will tell you that you could save alot of $ if you dropped down to the low 400's for hp. Beans has a good seup for 400hp for not huge $, might be the best bang for the buck in a 7.3 IMHO. :ford:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
powerstroke and budget build?

whats your budget?
Preferably the lower the better, but a definite roof of 5k. (maybe less, maybe more)

Over 500 and budget are not good friends. Biggest problem is the. Req tranny mods.
Ie replacement....300 to 450 maybe modded tc vb coolers and filters. But 500hp and up stock parts start to snap or burn up, unless you drive easy. So figure a 4k bts
Next high dollar item are the 2+k injectors, 1-2k turbo, 500 in fuel mods, 500+ adrenaline,
Then you have rods,springs,pushrods maybe some head work.figure 2 to 3k if you do the head work.
So there is a quick 11 grand . Maybe worth waiting to see what the scorpion can do.
Tranny issue has already been dealt with.
I may wait and see about scorpion anyways. (May make the 6.4 an easier choice) Ex is almost paid for, and I'm still debating on selling the 450. Haven't really pushed it much.

But my thinking may have changed a bit. May just pay off the ex, and do the mods slowly. (It's easier to hide some costs that way.) In this mindset, say adrenaline, rr (Those two should be done at the same time) What could I get away with more, a modded h2e, or hybrids? Or will those two definitely need to be done at the same time?

On all things there are three unique aspects: Cost, Quality, and Speed. Those three items form a triangle where you can have any two of the sides, but not the third. Since you are looking for low cost, and presumably high quality - that means the more you can take the time to do yourself the more you will be able to meet those goals. You have stated that your on a budget - but you haven't stated what the budget is. A budget of $5000 will go a lot farther than a budget of $50. Help us help you.
Well, most of the labor will be free, besides sending parts out for machine work if that be the case. I'm trading off my labor (computer stuff), for my mechanics labor. He'll do most of the stuff, but I'll be right there beside him. (I'm a parts changer, not a mechanic)

Yea a budget would be good. I will tell you that you could save alot of $ if you dropped down to the low 400's for hp. Beans has a good seup for 400hp for not huge $, might be the best bang for the buck in a 7.3 IMHO. :ford:
Dunno, I think adrenaline, rr and proper tuning could get me in the 325-350 range. Which might be fine for a while, but wont win the blue oval any respect.

5~600 i would mod a 7.3 and you will still come out ahead.
anything more and a 6.4 and tunner looks pretty sweet.
other then the 40k price tag.

40k tag is outta my league. I was thinking a slightly used one in the 25-30 range. They can be had, just gotta be patient. ;)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Dunno, I think adrenaline, rr and proper tuning could get me in the 325-350 range. Which might be fine for a while, but wont win the blue oval any respect.

Add a set of stage 2's and a 1.0 exhaust with a wheel and u could be @ 425+ hp for less than 2k more. Plus a little respect ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts