Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this huge Westin fatboy classic brush guard on my truck that I am trying to sell. I am hoping for better looks and also an aerodynamic improvement. What sort of gains do you think I might get with the guard removed? IOW, what's the penalty for a brush guard like this?

After removal I will likely do the standard billet grill and then add the lower bumper fairing/airdam thing from the newer superduty trucks.

Attachments

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
What does it weigh?

That will be the determining factor in this case. Probably no more than 80lbs is my guess.

So the MPG loss or gain from it is rather insignificant

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weight, good guess at 80#, isn't the big deal. I was under the impression that the aerodynamic improvement would far exceed the gains from the weight savings. For example, I've read in this forum that simply swapping the towing mirrors for paddles should get you 2/3 of a mpg. The mirror weight isn't the issue.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
The aerodynamics in this case are insignificant. As to the mirrors saving 2/3rds of a mpg no way. Not happening.

There isnt much of a drag coefficient increase with this brush gaurd

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Hell, my bumper weighs in at around 250lbs or so with the winch and i didn't notice a bit of difference in mileage.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's not worry about weight, the trucks weigh 7500#s. Have all of your brush guards been as big and gawdy as mine? Still made no effect to mpg?

I've gotta say, I expected the mpg to change with the brush guard. I guess that's why I asked.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Most of us that have posted in this thread have way bigger brush gaurds than you

bumpers and gaurds like this for example

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
80lbs would be pushing it alot, I'd say closer to 40lbs. Either way I didn't notice any diffrence with my 200lb+ front bumper.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
It shouldnt matter....the right foot is the biggest enemy in my experience. A big tune has the potential to gain the driver fuel economy if the driver can keep his foot out of the darn go pedal.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Most of us that have posted in this thread have way bigger brush gaurds than you

bumpers and gaurds like this for example
gawd that is hideous.

Nice truck though

·
Monkeys have armpits!
1,681 Posts
Let's not worry about weight, the trucks weigh 7500#s. Have all of your brush guards been as big and gawdy as mine? Still made no effect to mpg?

I've gotta say, I expected the mpg to change with the brush guard. I guess that's why I asked.
Here's mine...also have a 12K winch which adds about 90 lbs to it. I'd say it's about 280lbs or so all together

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After being hypnotized by Myles's avatar photo, I am impressed with these huge bumpers. Amazed that aeros have little to no effect on mpgs.

I've always wanted a winch for pulling trees over.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
After being hypnotized by Myles's avatar photo, I am impressed with these huge bumpers. Amazed that aeros have little to no effect on mpgs.

I've always wanted a winch for pulling trees over.
Toppling them? Or pulling them towards you?

Its too slow to use as a tree mving device, unless you've got all day. I always had a shackle in the rear receiver and one in the front tow hooks and drag the trees where I needed them to be. Logging chain is the best. Straps work but get torn up on the ground.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I clear land as a hobby of sorts with a tractor. Cutting the trees leaves stumps, but toppling them means I can get the whole thing to the burn pile and a clean conversion to pasture. So toppling. The right tool is an excavator but clearing land in the super tree huggerish northwest must be done slowly and carefully, always green in the satellite photos. Once down I drag the trees easily with the tractors.

How is it that you can get better mpg with a tonneau cover but that whole big mess of a brush guard out front doesn't hurt?

·
1,097 Posts
At the Reynolds numbers trucks run the bed is far more important than the front.

That said, I'd look for maybe a 10% reduction in coefficient of drag, but you are probably so over-geared that aero improvements, unless significant, just wash out in the engine frictional HP.

Its an improvement but you have a lot of work to do yet.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wasn't it you Dave that came up with the 2/3 mpg penalty for towing mirrors? I love my towing mirrors and won't everchange them but I thought I was paying for them with some fuel usage.

I guess I won't worry about the grill guard WRT mpg. Maybe there's some lower hanging fruit somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts