Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found what I thought was a good deal. I bought a 97 ext cab 4x4 auto. The truck needs tires and has a rear driveline vibration. No biggie I thought I fixed a couple little things monday and started driving it. Probably put 120 miles or so on it. Came home monday night and had it idleing using the headlights for some light. It sat and idled for about a half an hour and we moved it. It then sat and ran for another half an hour. Then it just died like you shut off the key. I pulled it about a 100 ft to my shop and let it sit. I tried to start the next day again. Crank with no start. It was dark and I didnt think the tach moved so I installed a cam sensor today. Tach is now moving. Crank and no start. I did have a maxi fuse blown that was a 30 amp. I all lights seem to be coming on in the dash. The wait to start light is working. I dont have my scanner at my house. Any ideas what I should look at first. The truck ran great all day untill then

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
any white smoke out the exhaust while cranking?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Check that fuse again. I imagine it was the #22 fuse under the hood huh? It controls the PCM and fuel bowl heater. When that heater wire decides it's time it will continuously blow that fuse. If you put in another and it does the same just pull the fuel filter, unplug the little wire inside the bowl on the driver's side, close bowl, new fuse, crank truck, never look back. If that's it anyways. It's a cheap try. Good luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont remember the fuse number. I do know I put a new one in it and it didnt blow. Nor did it start. I am going to work on it in a little bit we will see what I can figure out in the daylight.

·
Registered
350 Posts
dont remember the fuse number. I do know I put a new one in it and it didnt blow. Nor did it start. I am going to work on it in a little bit we will see what I can figure out in the daylight.
Make sure and check it for continuity. I've had several "blow" that didn't look like it at all. Could be 1000 things but just don't want to miss the easy one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Number 18 fuse is the one that was blow and I replaced. There is no smoke what so ever. Fuel bowl is full. Batterys are charged. I run my scanner and I had while cranking. 2900 lbs plus of oil pressure. I dont know how to tell if the idm is bad but that is my guess. The truck would start and run with an aresol can feeding it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You might take off your IDM and shake it to see if there's water in there. And please, Please, PLEASE don't run that PSD with ether.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hint I say aresol can, some kind of lube that came out of the combine it worked. The idm looks like its been sealed up with rtv at one time. Anyway to test it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what I thought, I stopped and got another cps. Installed it same thing. Crank but no start. I have fuel to the bowl, I have oil pressure. I have no smoke coming from the tailpipe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you physically checked and verified your hoop resivoir was full? I bought a truculent cheap once cause the cps sensor went out the previous owner kept cranking it with the bad cps in it. He installed a new one and still no start. He gave up. I brought it home and the resivor was low on oil so I filled it cranked over and fired. Drove it everyday for two yrs after that. Just a thought..... good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.