Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its prolly been covered 100 times but the Bronco tank is just a bolt in replacement for us right? I've already killed the front tank and would like to get a bigger tank for the back but I would prefer it to be plastic for less weight. And also does the bronco tank have about the same clearance as our factory tanks? Main reason for wanting a different tank is my inability to get a 3/4 pickup to plumb into the tank and not leak without doing a sump or something similar. Thanks guys.

·
Got Bost???
1,577 Posts
Im in the same boat and found the bronco tank will work but found this place http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php has 38 gallon direct replacement tanks that supposedbly make it easier and come with everything, skid plate extensions, sending unit mod. instruction etc. Search p/n F26E and it will come up.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Im in the same boat and found the bronco tank will work but found this place http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php has 38 gallon direct replacement tanks that supposedbly make it easier and come with everything, skid plate extensions, sending unit mod. instruction etc. Search p/n F26E and it will come up.
Yup that is the one.....I did the F26D and the F26E is a wiser choice difference is in the tank vent I think as well the clocking notch for the pickup needs to be trimmed to fit. Mine came as noted above. I made the tank gauge sending unit (float) longer with uncoated steel coat hanger wire.

Has worked really well even hung the spare tire under there by extending the vertical bolt on drivers side and using a small Toyota chain spare tire hoist bolted onto the ford tire cross bar.

jrc

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
Ya I'm in the process of doing this. I was wondering if you could use flairs and a nut and put it together that way? Instead of Stainless tubing and Ermeto fittings b.c for whatever reason I can't find anything like that around here...:shrug:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Ya I'm in the process of doing this. I was wondering if you could use flairs and a nut and put it together that way? Instead of Stainless tubing and Ermeto fittings b.c for whatever reason I can't find anything like that around here...:shrug:
I don't see why not. On mine I bent the return line so it would circulate the fuel away from the pick up tube. As noted above used uncoated coat hanger to remake float arm. It was the exact diameter so I unhooked the stock one and bent the new one and added length so it would just off the bottom of the tank. On mine when the gauge shows "E" there is still like 20 litres (5 gallons) of fuel left or so....guess I should had it touch the tank bottom.....

I would reccomend you also do the tank vent mod I didn't and will have to drop the tank to do it to increase size of vent tube and hook it into the filler elbow. I just yanked out the inner filler pipe and used the stock filler vent as is. At some fill stations the tank takes some time to fill as it spits back and I think a larger vent would prevent this.

Overall it sure is nice to have lots of fuel capacity...on the sig truck I can load 405 litres (105 US gallons) now.

·
I Like Red Cows
364 Posts
I don't see why not. On mine I bent the return line so it would circulate the fuel away from the pick up tube. As noted above used uncoated coat hanger to remake float arm. It was the exact diameter so I unhooked the stock one and bent the new one and added length so it would just off the bottom of the tank. On mine when the gauge shows "E" there is still like 20 litres (5 gallons) of fuel left or so....guess I should had it touch the tank bottom.....

I would reccomend you also do the tank vent mod I didn't and will have to drop the tank to do it to increase size of vent tube and hook it into the filler elbow. I just yanked out the inner filler pipe and used the stock filler vent as is. At some fill stations the tank takes some time to fill as it spits back and I think a larger vent would prevent this.

Overall it sure is nice to have lots of fuel capacity...on the sig truck I can load 405 litres (105 US gallons) now.
Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can get a 33 Gallon Bronco Tank for $100 on ebay..you have to take your bed off to install it...Thats what Im going to do i just havent had time to install it! i will do a little write up on it when i get around to it!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys I really appreciate it .Thanks for the info. With these tanks you've mentioned, what is the clearance on the top anybody know?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Guys I really appreciate it .Thanks for the info. With these tanks you've mentioned, what is the clearance on the top anybody know?
With the F26D and F26E they are the same dimensions as stock only 7" deeper. I think the Bronco is 13" deeper because it is not as wide or long as the other two. F26D and E are 38 us gallons and iirc the Bronco is 33 us gallons. Top clearance is just the same as your current tank.

I did not take the box off mine to install tank I did use Sears single hand (operational) C bar clamps to hold tank in place while muckin about getting it fitted and they worked great. A second body would might make it easier...

jrc

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anybody ever done a Plastic one of any kind? Those bronco tanks are just too big and bulky. I'm not going all out on a drag truck but I'd like to save weight wherever I could And I have no need for 30+ gallons of fuel. Im thinking in the 15-20 range, only problem with a racing cell is the need to cut a hole in the bed to fill from lol. They do already have a sump built in though.

·
Got Bost???
1,577 Posts
Anybody ever done a Plastic one of any kind? Those bronco tanks are just too big and bulky. I'm not going all out on a drag truck but I'd like to save weight wherever I could And I have no need for 30+ gallons of fuel. Im thinking in the 15-20 range, only problem with a racing cell is the need to cut a hole in the bed to fill from lol. They do already have a sump built in though.
If you only want 15-20gal then just use the stocker.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats whats on there now Jim, my trouble is getting a 3/4 in draw straw in the tank and it not leaking. The tank sits so close to the bed theres no room on the top for the pickup to clear the bottom of the bed. Draw straw is in at a sort of angle and for it to reach down to get all the fuel its in a bind and leaks around the seal. So you either have to let it run down past half a tank or fill it up and let it slowly leak. It's not a bad leak at all, but track officials didnt like me much last year pulling in the staging lanes going drip drip lol. So all I see is a sump or a completely different tank as being an option. But I am wide open for suggestions. You have any info on the poly tank? I'm thinking of just using a super duty tank if it comes down to it.

Agreed, and get a stock poly if that's what you want.

And some tank info:
33 Gallon Bronco Tank.

38 Gallon Replacement Tank.

·
Got Bost???
1,577 Posts
Thats whats on there now Jim, my trouble is getting a 3/4 in draw straw in the tank and it not leaking. The tank sits so close to the bed theres no room on the top for the pickup to clear the bottom of the bed. Draw straw is in at a sort of angle and for it to reach down to get all the fuel its in a bind and leaks around the seal. So you either have to let it run down past half a tank or fill it up and let it slowly leak. It's not a bad leak at all, but track officials didnt like me much last year pulling in the staging lanes going drip drip lol. So all I see is a sump or a completely different tank as being an option. But I am wide open for suggestions. You have any info on the poly tank? I'm thinking of just using a super duty tank if it comes down to it.

I think I would probably just drop the tank, drill ha hole in the bottom for 3/4 pipe, fill the tank with an inert gas and weld a pipe bung on it. Then thread a short stand pipe maybe an inch or so off the bottom of the tank so it dosent pick up any crap. Then on the outside of the tank you can get a 3/4 NPT to 3/4 JIC (-12) fitting to run your line to the pump.
May be a bit of work but you would have what you want, should work great and it might cost you all of about $20.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have no idea what a draw staw is.

Along the lines of what Jacob said, they make very nice bulkhead fittings that don't require welding. A dab of sticky gray IH goop won't hurt either.

You can get a stock poly tank from MTS Company. (google them)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts