Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was changing my tranny and transfer case fluid to synthetic. the tranny went fine no issues, but the transfer case is another story. First the plug for the tcase was a bolt head not a 3/8 drive like the tranny dont know if that's right. Anyway i put a wrench on it and with almost no pressure it started to turn and the bolt head fell on my chest, WTF the tard who put it in last must have torqued the hell out of it and spun the bolt. got the drill and extractor out drilled the hole put my extractor in with a stub wrench to get it started and the Mo$%^$%@*$%ng extractor broke. I am stumped how am i gonna get this out any help would really be appreciated.:confused::confused:

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
its pipe thread, gonna be real tight. get the biggest drill bit/ easy out you can find(as close to the plug size as possible). drill it, then use a propane or map gas torch to heat up the case around the plug, then put the easy out in with a socket on it and a long ratchet and it should come right out

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you cant get the extractor out you might have to put a little heat to it! you probably can not drill through the easy out! if you get it out and finish drilling the hole all the way through the plug it should release all the pressure so you can extract it!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't tried to drill the ez out yet, it was a 5/8 ez out that broke in it, its gonna be a pita to drill that ez out any suggestions besides a really good bit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can melt the easy out with a torch if you are feeling up to it?? I have blown them out with a torch before, the easy out is hardend steel so it is almost impossilbe to drill!! good luck!

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
you can melt the easy out with a torch if you are feeling up to it?? I have blown them out with a torch before, the easy out is hardend steel so it is almost impossilbe to drill!! good luck!
you'd need an oxy/acetalyne torch to melt it out and the tcase is aluminum an probably wont take the type of heat kindly...not sure its a good idea

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was considering tig welding a short bolt on it and putting a little heat to it and try to get it to turn but i'm worried the bolt will just twist off.

The plug is in a steel sleeve does anyone know if the sleeve is pressed in?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If you heat pipe threads, they are just going to swell even more and tighten up even more. Do you have room to drill a few holes around the sides of the easy out. Might cut it out with a drill bit. I know my next step would be to see how hard it would be to have the transfer case sitting on a bench.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
If you heat pipe threads, they are just going to swell even more and tighten up even more. Do you have room to drill a few holes around the sides of the easy out. Might cut it out with a drill bit. I know my next step would be to see how hard it would be to have the transfer case sitting on a bench.
Yeah at least on the bench you can have full access to it and not dodge all the chit under the truck when working on it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine were as tight as hell too. They were a brass colored plug that I used a huge allen head wrench to remove. Not a bolt head sticking out. I replaced the fluid with synthetic and used pipe dope to seal the threads and didn't torque the hell out of them on reinstall.

Since the EZ out is so big. I would set a nut around the broken stub and weld the nut onto the EZout stub with lots of heat for good penetration. Nothing to loose and you shouldn't damage the housing. The heat of the weld usually does the job of breaking loose the stuck threads.

I am more worried that whatever caused the PO to use a bolt in the TC is going to prevent you from ever getting this job done with the TC on the truck.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulling the tcase is what i was affraid of but might be my only option. I do have a little room i could probably drill some 1/16 holes on two sides of the ezout, if i get the ez out removed what is my next step, i dont want to drill all the way through the plug and not be able to get it out, this is my dd. My buddy had an idea that if i get the ez out removed, tap the hole i have drilled and thread a bolt with locktight let it setup it might turn out, any thoughts?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pulling the tcase is what i was affraid of but might be my only option. I do have a little room i could probably drill some 1/16 holes on two sides of the ezout, if i get the ez out removed what is my next step, i dont want to drill all the way through the plug and not be able to get it out, this is my dd. My buddy had an idea that if i get the ez out removed, tap the hole i have drilled and thread a bolt with locktight let it setup it might turn out, any thoughts?
why not tap with left hand threads?????

mojo

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, that is why posting here is so helpful, i will tap it and use a grade 8 bolt and see how that works. If that breaks pulling the tc is about the only other option.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you can drill a hole in the plug and tap the hole then why not make that your new drain plug? Sure, it would be nice to remove the plug.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good point, i think i will still try to drill and tap it if i get the old plug out im gold if not i could just leave the bolt as a plug for the time being until i have the time to pull the tc

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If you can drill a hole in the plug and tap the hole then why not make that your new drain plug? Sure, it would be nice to remove the plug.
Sometimes simple is good. Nice fix.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got a min to work on this problem, I drilled a small whole next to the broken ez out the took a cold chisel and tapped the ez out till it spun loose and came out. I realized after getting a new plug i had lots of room to drill, there wasn't a sleeve just the odd steel plug and the aluminum tc. I drilled the hole all the way through the plug, got another ez out 2' breaker bar and lots of torque and it broke loose, apparently that thing was put in by a freak no anti size and the threads were screwed in even with the tc. anyway it was out and I had to do the same thing on the fill plug.

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What to do know? I was parked in my buddys concret driveway and I see a puddle of fluid under my truck but to far back to be engine oil. I crawl under it and look and low and behold the plug is leaking fluid. I get out my ratchedt and try to tighten the plug but it will just keep turning it and out without getting really tight. I guess the A$$hole who put the old plug in so tight must have stretched the threads. Should I put some RTV oil resistant silicone on and put it back in? or does anyone have a suggestion on getting this to stop leaking. Remember this is a steel plug in an aluminum case so siezure is an issue.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
What to do know? I was parked in my buddys concret driveway and I see a puddle of fluid under my truck but to far back to be engine oil. I crawl under it and look and low and behold the plug is leaking fluid. I get out my ratchedt and try to tighten the plug but it will just keep turning it and out without getting really tight. I guess the A$ who put the old plug in so tight must have stretched the threads. Should I put some RTV oil resistant silicone on and put it back in? or does anyone have a suggestion on getting this to stop leaking. Remember this is a steel plug in an aluminum case so siezure is an issue.
Can you go the next size up? If it is NPT you should be able to just use a tap to clean up the threads and then follow with pipe dope or sealant and a new bolt/plug.

The only problem I see is aluminum chips from the tap possibly getting inside the TC.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts