Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bowhunting Freak!
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short. My brother was helping me clean the egr valve. When he put it back in the truck he snapped the head off the bolt on the left side that goes into the manifold. Egr is snug and not moving anywhere but how the hell do I get the broken bolt out of the manifold? Its snapped flush with the manifold. Can I still drive the truck with just one bolt holding that damm valve down? Thank guys.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Get a set of easy outs and a center puch. I'm pretty sure it's going to leak, but shouldn't hurt anything untill you get a new bolt

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Get a set of easy outs and a center puch. I'm pretty sure it's going to leak, but shouldn't hurt anything untill you get a new bolt
:whs: Plus left handed drill bit. Take your time and drill all the way through the bolt.

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
like stated above its probably gonna leak,a set of easy outs will probably get it done.good luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok BigDeal... lets here how it went. Do you think it was a weak bolt or over tightened?

·
< YOU WISH...
775 Posts
Just take a Dremel or similar and grind a slot into the broken bolt. It's not a sealing surface so even if it slightly grooves the manifold it's no big deal. Then it should back right out with a small screwdriver.

·
Bowhunting Freak!
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove the truck to the inlaws which is bout 3 hours away.No visible leak. I haven't had time to mess with it yet. Prolly this weekend. I bought a back out tool. That dremel idea seems pretty slick though also.

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
A lot of times I have good luck with a small center punch. Start a point 3/4 of the way out from the center of the screw and angle the punch to rotate the bolt counterclockwise. The only time this fails for me is if the bolt has been bottomed out hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If a bolt is just threaded in and breaks from overtorquing (not bottoming out the bolt) and the head snaps off, it *should* just thread out. Left handed drill bit works fine here. If the bolt were cross threaded or galled (most likely scenario) the threads will be screwed anyway and you'll probably need a helicoil.

My suggestion: drill through the bolt with a left hand drill bit, if it doesn't come out, use an easyout, and if it comes out with an easy out it will probably needs to be helicoiled unless the hole is threaded deep enough to use a longer bolt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me yesterday.:doh: I'll try the suggestions above but anybody know the bolt specs or part number so I can get a new one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts