Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I built my truck from the frame up because of a deal I had with my buddy. I've been driving it a few months and just recently it would crank, run for 5 seconds and die. I talked to some mechanics and they said check my lift pump. When I got it off the plunger and half of the aluminum housing that holds it stayed with the block. It wasn't seized just broke off. I noticed the pump was loose while I was taking it off so I think it was broken from the owner of the parts truck I bought to rebuild mine. Has anyone else heard of this? What could have caused it? And could this be the source of a rough idle? Any info greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It's been known to happen when fellas go to replace the pump, that the extension that sticks down into the block just breaks off. Oh, yeah, of course it'll create a rough idle; the tappet is surely not fully activating the innards of the pump the way it should. It's a surprise the truck runs at all like this.

Is there enough sticking out for you to grab it with something to remove it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the motor that could break it. I was surprised it ran at all too. I was able to grab the extension with a pair of needle nose pliers.

·
Suck it swan
457 Posts
Turn the motor over till it comes out as much as possible. That is something you should do before you pull the pump if you can. take the two bolts and bango/ fuel lines off. then turn th motor over a few times. You will need someone with small hands to get that bango bolt started when you re-install. (my wife gets that job;). To loosen and tighten that bolt I use a wrench that I heated up and bent the end at a little angle.

·
Suck it swan
457 Posts
Spray r down with penetrating oil too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts