Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have not had good luck with this new truck I picked up.

I ordered a DP Tuner last week, got in this last Monday and installed it. Everything worked flawlessly and the truck ran great. I put just over 300 miles on it and then yesterday evening heading back from out of town, the truck hiccuped and died. I put the truck in neutral and tried to restart. Got an SES light and no start. I stopped, turned the key off, then back on SES went away and the truck fired right up. To to where we were going for dinner and then when we left, my wife was driving. Truck started right up and as she went to back up, it hiccuped again then died and would not start and the SES was back on. I thought my CPS took a ####, so I was going to call a tow truck. My wife asked if maybe it was the new chip I installed which I dismissed it. But being that I didnt want to wait for a tow truck and then get towed almost 100mi. home, I figured I'd try everything I could. I pulled the chip out, turned on the key and the truck fired up and drove home.

This morning I double checked the issue, and got the same exact results. I was able to get a Snap On scanner and check the truck. Anytime I had the chip plugged in to the PCM, I would get a error saying the codes couldnt be read. I unplugged the chip, and it spit out a P0603 KAM error. Cleared it truck fired right up.

Did some searching and reading, decided to try the chip one more time one more time before running into town. No Start and now with the chip removed, Im getting an SES light, no start and the scanner an cannot read the codes, says its unable to communicate.

Im at a complete loss. Im supposed to be moving 1000mi to Houston Tx in 3 days, and my truck is broke.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
My truck gave me that error when my alt was on the way out.
Also my cps did that as well, if i turned the key off removed it it cranked back up.

Could be the chip, maybe not...you did have the keys out of the ignition, ie it was off ehen you pulled the chip eh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leave the chip out and drive home....you'll be fine without it!
The truck is at my house. It will not start at all. The chip is not installed. It has a constant SES light and the scanner just gives me an error saying it cannot connect to the PCM. I even tried the Edge Evolution programmer that came with the truck. It also cannot connect to the PCM.

My truck gave me that error when my alt was on the way out.
Also my cps did that as well, if i turned the key off removed it it cranked back up.

Could be the chip, maybe not...you did have the keys out of the ignition, ie it was off ehen you pulled the chip eh
Keys were out and sitting on the center console.

I'll check the CPS and maybe swap it with my other truck just to check.

when the truck won't start, does the F5 switch light up?
The chip will power up and cycle through the tunes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you can not communicate with the PCM I would be looking at fuses and I believe the fuel bowl heater is on the circuit for the PCM power. When that heater fails it takes out the PCM power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the fuses look good. Under dash and the ones under the hood. I pulled the CPS and plugged it back in, I'll have to run into town to get a new one.

I've got a feeling my PCM went bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Pcm and chip are no good. I put the pcm out of my other truck in and it now runs/drives. As soon as I plug the chip in, I get a SES light and no start.

Guess I wont get to use my new DP chip to haul my stuff to Tx. which was the whole reason I bought it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did the chip wiggle loose while you were powered up? I have heard that can toast a PCM. Sorry about the luck bud.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Makr sure you tape that sucket in. and dont forget to tighten harness bolt.
Only extra advice I have

1 - 11 of 11 Posts