Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Can you also take a pic with lights against a wall..50' out+-.
DOT spec housings are designed to cast light up wards to illuminate street signs which is fine with std bulbs..Hids are so much brighter that the housing design then causes the problems. Euro spec doesn't cast the light this way and has a tightly controled cutoff.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The stock housings are designed to put light out. Period. You can use halogens, hids, candles, glow sticks, or pixies for all I care. Its still light.

Its going to focus what ever light you put in them the same way.

What your going to see different with the different light sources is areas showing up that normally you might not see because of the light not being as bright from one source to another. Just because you change whats making the light it isnt going to bend in some new fangled direction.

In figures 1 here we have low beam hids in stock housings.
Notice the PERFECT line where the light stops. Try studying the picture and see if you can find light bleed over problems that would bother on coming traffic.

Now if figure 2 we have the same everything formula wise as figure 1 except this is in the high beam setting.

Wheres the glare? Wheres the light bending effects?
Thats noware near enough light for driving at night. My low beams are brighter than that and shoot farther. No offence but thats a accident waiting to happen. When you are traveling at highway speeds if you figure out how long it takes the brain to react to something in front of you and deal with the situation its to late. I went through this when i was with the fire dept i cant remember the formula they used but when you though about it it made sence. Even with properly aimed headlights on high beams if you are going 10 over the speed limit you do not have time to react to what just showed up in your headlight beams. I just bought a pair of these and they have a great beam on them. Nice white clear light huge diffrence over stock.
GE Nighthawk Platinum Headlamps | Canadian Tire

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
This is the HID kit installed. Notice how the beam is all scattered.

This is with the Silverstars (foggy out). Oh yea, the dash lights are the 168 bulbs.

I shorted out the HID ballasts when I washed the truck.

The rest of the pics are here: HIDs on F250HD pictures from trucks photos on webshots

With the HID kit, it was very hard to drive in inclement weather. It was almost impossible to drive in the fog or when it was snowing. At times I had to shut off the lights to see.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is the HID kit installed. Notice how the beam is all scattered.

This is with the Silverstars (foggy out). Oh yea, the dash lights are the 168 bulbs.

I shorted out the HID ballasts when I washed the truck.

The rest of the pics are here: HIDs on F250HD pictures from trucks photos on webshots

With the HID kit, it was very hard to drive in inclement weather. It was almost impossible to drive in the fog or when it was snowing. At times I had to shut off the lights to see.

Billy T.
[email protected]
What kit (brand)?

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
Thats noware near enough light for driving at night. My low beams are brighter than that and shoot farther.
That picture is way brighter than my 80w/100w bulbs & harness I have, which are way brighter than my stock bulbs were. I don't see any way your bulbs are brighter than his HIDs. That's amazing light in that picture. Crowz stated that is going uphill and he needed to get a pic on flat ground to give it a fair shake on how far out they shoot. I agree it doesn't look far in that pic, but I'd like to see what it looks like on level ground where you can really see.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
IMHO the OEM and aftermarket headlights buckets are not engineered to be used with HID lights. Most of these kits just replace the bulb with a HID one. If you look at a vehicle with factory HIDs, notice how the headlight buckets are made.

I had HIDs on my truck and took them off. The HID beam was scattered and could not be focused/aimed.

IMHO you're wasting your money with HIDs and factory headlight buckets. Get yourself a headlight harness to apply full voltage to the headlights and your choice of halogen bulbs.

Pics are in my sig.

Billy T.
[email protected]
I put the Silverstars in and a Goss harness and it was complete junk!! It was a waste of money. I had the lights aimed and adjusted at the dealer and it still sucked. I bought a HID kit from Retro Solutions. I will get it next week. I have yet to read about how the HID kit sucks on our trucks.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
I still havent had time to take more pics as Ive been swamped with service calls and working on psn but heres some more I took that same night I took the ones I posted above.

Ive aimed them a little different since these but you can get the idea how bright and focused they are even then..

I have aimed them up a tad more since then but Im more interested in seeing and not blinding people. If you want to blind low flying aircraft they will do that too if thats what floats your boat.

low

high

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Iphones dont take the best pictures in the world....

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
One last thing I wanted to point out. I run 4300k which is bright but isnt blue. The human eye see's the more blue-ish ones as brighter and more glare-ish. Blue bothers my eyes so I steer clear of it on everything from interior stuff to lighting. To me if two lights are done side by side and ones white and ones blue I find looking at the blue makes me want to turn away thus "feeling" brighter. But the white light is better to actually see with to me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
That picture is way brighter than my 80w/100w bulbs & harness I have, which are way brighter than my stock bulbs were. I don't see any way your bulbs are brighter than his HIDs. That's amazing light in that picture. Crowz stated that is going uphill and he needed to get a pic on flat ground to give it a fair shake on how far out they shoot. I agree it doesn't look far in that pic, but I'd like to see what it looks like on level ground where you can really see.
Maby brighter was the wrong word... Should i say they shoot farther down the street. Even with his second pic mine still shoot 2 -3 times farther down the road... What good are super bright lights is you can only see 2 or 3 car lenghts infront of you? it gives you absolutely no time to react to a situation. What about the guy stranded on the side of the road not paying attention and just stepped out onto the highway. Dont get me wrong i love HID's but unless they come as a complete kit where you can get the distance and a proper light patern then its not worth my life or someone elses. Not trying to bash anyone eater just my opinion... to each their own..hehe

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
They will blind airplanes if you want them to. If your normally on flat areas theres nothing wrong with aiming them higher. The problem with the area I live in is hills and mountains for that matter. Your constantly topping a hill here and I dont like being blinded so I try to take the other drivers into account and not blind them. If I lived in kansas Id raise them more.
Also they are higher now than they are in those pictures. Those were taken right after I got the hids.

Just havent had time to take anymore pics.

·
Registered
480 Posts
They will blind airplanes if you want them to. If your normally on flat areas theres nothing wrong with aiming them higher. The problem with the area I live in is hills and mountains for that matter. Your constantly topping a hill here and I dont like being blinded so I try to take the other drivers into account and not blind them. If I lived in kansas Id raise them more.
ya im in the same situation. I live in the mountains. Dont think we have a flat streach of road anywere in this town...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I still havent had time to take more pics as Ive been swamped with service calls and working on psn but heres some more I took that same night I took the ones I posted above.

Ive aimed them a little different since these but you can get the idea how bright and focused they are even then..

I have aimed them up a tad more since then but Im more interested in seeing and not blinding people. If you want to blind low flying aircraft they will do that too if thats what floats your boat.

low

high
crowz,could you take these same pics stopped?low and high beam pics...just to get an idea

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Yep but it wont look the same though. I aimed them up since then. Just need to remember to do it when its dark.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
These pictures are awful, but gives you an idea on a comparison to what crowz has. I have 80w/100w Hella buls and Harness. First pic is low beams, 2nd is high. FWIW it's WAY brighter than stock, even if it doesn't look like it in the pic. Truck is stock ride height, and stock aim on the headlights.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I use a GOS performance wiring kit and silverstar ultras.
Can't you use the silver stars with stock wiring? I'm pretty sure my buddy put silver stars in his Yukon. I think he just replaced the bulbs. What ever they are, they light up the street really well.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
The wiring upgrade isnt to stop them from melting or something it provides a better power source for the bulbs to allow them to draw more amps thus making them brighter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
They can be run with the stock wiring. The reason for upgrading the wire is with the upgrade your headlights will be running direct off the battery and just using the old headligt connection as a trigger for the realays. You get much better voltage this way and gives any light about 20 percent more light output

21 - 40 of 67 Posts