Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add some light when i'm backing up.. Has anyone added lights.. If so what and do you have some pictures?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I recessed some PIAA 1500 Back Up lamps into the rear bumpers on both of my trucks. Here's a pic of my 07:

Or you can always put HIDs in the stock tail light housing for reverse lamps. Also, very bright (I have done this on a different vehicle and love it).

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
I took a 5" offroad light you can get at walmart, bolted it to an existing hole in the frame rail and wired it into the harness on my trailer plug. Purple wire if I recall correctly. There is also a 12v pos. wire in the harness if you want to wire in a relay and switch. I never had a problem other than the light was almost to bright and it would only come on when in reverse. If I did it again I would use the 12 wire and put in a relay and switch.

·
Michigan Ice Dog
226 Posts
These 4" GE spots are good for at least 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I just put a cheap set of rally driving lights from wal mart in the mounting holes already in the stock bumper and used an upfitter switch for full manual control. Thay where cheap so if thay get broken I dont care and having them on the swich I can use them whenever i want.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I recessed some PIAA 1500 Back Up lamps into the rear bumpers on both of my trucks. Here's a pic of my 07:

Or you can always put HIDs in the stock tail light housing for reverse lamps. Also, very bright (I have done this on a different vehicle and love it).
You have anymore pics of those lights in the daylight?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I just put a cheap set of rally driving lights from wal mart in the mounting holes already in the stock bumper and used an upfitter switch for full manual control. Thay where cheap so if thay get broken I dont care and having them on the swich I can use them whenever i want.
this is what I had done, $14 harbor freight special. Worked great and lasted most of the winter, snow/ice bank took them out around March. Gonna redo it but put them on the frame/hitch or something a little more protected next time around.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
These 4" GE spots are good for at least 100 yards.
Where can these lights be purchased?

I saw some on a Game Wardens truck when it came into the shop and they were bright as hell, but havent been able to find them anywere locally.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
this is what I had done, $14 harbor freight special. Worked great and lasted most of the winter, snow/ice bank took them out around March. Gonna redo it but put them on the frame/hitch or something a little more protected next time around.
The only reason I didnt do that is when I pull a trailer at night thay shine down the sides and I can leave them on to help load. I use the cheap ones so if thay get broken Im not as upset as if thay where $200 lights.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
The only reason I didnt do that is when I pull a trailer at night thay shine down the sides and I can leave them on to help load. I use the cheap ones so if thay get broken Im not as upset as if thay where $200 lights.
Yea that is what I liked about on the bumper, they were right out there. Set of lights a year certainly isn't all that bad at $15-20 a pop I suppose. I'll probably try the frame mount but worst case just move them back to the bumper.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Couldn't find one in my gallery from my 07, but here are the same lights on my 01:

I've been wanting to do that on my truck for some time now but didn't know how to mount them. Would you mind sharing? I have the factory chrome bumper and didn't know how it would be cutting that.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've been wanting to do that on my truck for some time now but didn't know how to mount them. Would you mind sharing? I have the factory chrome bumper and didn't know how it would be cutting that.
I took some steel flat stock and formed and welded it to the shape of the PIAA 1500 Lamps. Then I traced that onto the rear bumper after measuring and lining up both sides. Cut out where I traced, welded in the "Bezel" that I made and then smooth everything, light body work , sand prep and paint. Bolt in the light. I had to notch the support brackets behind the bumper to clear the lamps.

That bumper on my 01 was chrome was well :D

how did you get hids into the housing??

On a stock tail lamp?
Super glue or epoxy to hold them in :D
Obviously not plug and play, you'll need to cut off the factory plug to wire in a 2 pin weatherpack plug or use some t-taps.
I may do this on my 07 for snow plowing (more light the better)....did it on my Jeep and love the light output :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for the info DC. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts