Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this tank brand new from Amazon. Well I received it today and I wanted to hurry up and paint it...But the damn thing is greasy! I bought a stock size tank years ago from Spectra and it didn’t show up pre-greased. You can also feel and see grease on the inside. Is this a rust preventing coating that I should expect on another tank if I return this one? Should I just clean the damn thing? What the heck! Supposedly it’s a brand new part why should I have to do this! Darn thing has several dents. Even came with 4 pry marks!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Mine from a few years ago was clean no grease at all.... may have changed and is a rust preventative. I’d give them a call or email. Super clean in a purple bottle is an excellent degreaser, typically I buy in 4 litre jug and pour into spray bottle, then dispense, from spray bottle. Spray on tank leave to soak for 5 min. Hose off done...

Excellent mod btw. To extend the in tank sensor arm I used uncoated coat hanger wire as it was the exact diameter of stock wire. Removed the stock one altogether, then used it as a pattern for new one only extending it 7” as I recall.

Lastly just installed a mid ship poly tank on my ECLB. It’s out of a SDCC short box, 32 gallons iirc.
Cheers,
j

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
my spectre tank was non greased
but i agree just clean it up vs dealing with a return and probably the exact same issue with the replacement

is it like the cosmoline type goo that harbor freight tools are soaked in ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I returned it. It bothered me that it looked like somebody tried to Install it...then give up and return it. Several pry marks all over it with dents. Just got the new one no dents no pry marks...But greasy as hell! I guess I’ll be cleaning it off...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha 10-4

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Good to hear you have an unmolested tank anyways, albeit it’s greasy Heh heh. I used a spray on rock guard undercoating prior to install and also had to trim passenger corner of tank skid plate to miss exhaust. Hung spare under there too, used threaded ready rod for extension as I recall. Oh ya and I’d gut the filler inner hose and install a larger breather line, that way tank should fill faster with less burps.
Cheers,
j

·
Registered
131 Posts
Some do some don't I have notice . I spray them down with brake cleaner tell clean and then clear coat them never had a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts