Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
econolaw
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a brand new motor, built by "Machinist", so my doubts aren't in the core of the motor or cam timing (if even applicable to these motors, I'm not an engine builder).

Every other part on here is new too:
-IPR
-Every sensor
-SRP1
-250 hybrids from Full Force
-TS 6pos from BDP

First start took about 1 minute of cranking, then when she fired, nothing but lope. I'm not a pro, so feel free ask away. Here's the vid, it's in HD to help clarify the readings.

http://youtu.be/kuONuiMT9xY

What I didn't film was the smooth idle. It only happened twice (once within two different start-ups) and it only happened after selecting the hotter tunes on the chip AND it wasn't steady, it smoothly fluctuated between 500-700rpm...

-Thanks

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
What injectors and is it tuned for them?

After looking at the video it appears you have some funky ICP issues.... it needs to get all the air out of the system before attempting to decipher any datalogging.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Air in the system ?

Wrong tunes ?

Have you tried driving it ?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
im going to guess that someone put the wrong tunes on the chip.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I,m kinda on the air in the system band wagon on this one, we all know how long it takes to get the damn air out of them when ever you mess with injectors and fuel system parts.

·
Plays with Motors
611 Posts
That's the HUGE cam we put in for you as a surprise :lookaround:

That's a ton of lope for only being an air in the system problem....what happens when you rev it up?

Also you pointed out that twice it idled somewhat smoothly on a different chip setting so that pretty much points to an engine management/tuning issue rather than an air in fuel/oil, electronics, or injector problem....I would think.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I,m kinda on the air in the system band wagon on this one, we all know how long it takes to get the damn air out of them when ever you mess with injectors and fuel system parts.
of the 40-50+ times ive installed injectors i have never had it romp 200 rpms after the install. The only time i have ever had something like that happen was when i fired the truck up w/o a chip and had the big B codes running on the factory PCM tuning. It did some weird sh!t then.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I hear ya, another thought is ICP. When I had a bad IPS, and took the presure washer to it It would romp like hell when I start it. I take a blow gun unplug the sensor , try it again, and runs fine. Could be a problem with his IPR, sticking from something. Could be left over crap from machining.
I just watched the video, LOL. Sorry, should have to start with. Its either tuning or a Injector control issue, ICP< IPS Just cause its new does NOT mean its a good part. I can tell ya from experience her at the shop we have been burned by new parts that in the end were junk.

·
Registered
298 Posts
How about low fuel pressure, I found out it can make it run a lot like that if it's not getting enough fuel.

Travis T

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
How about low fuel pressure, I found out it can make it run a lot like that if it's not getting enough fuel.

Travis T
I would have to disagree. When my e-pump took a dump it idled fine, it just wouldn't do anything when you pushed the pedal. Maybe low fuel pressure could cause that lope. I'm thinking IPR problems though, I had the same thing happen to me this weekend.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
No need to be a smarta$$. When I said "maybe low fuel pressure could cause that lope," I meant in the sense of, yeah maybe in a long shot. That lope does not scream low fuel pressure, if anything that screams oscillating fuel pressure from a malfunctioning pump.

·
econolaw
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the HUGE cam we put in for you as a surprise :lookaround:
That's a ton of lope for only being an air in the system problem....what happens when you rev it up?
Also you pointed out that twice it idled somewhat smoothly on a different chip setting so that pretty much points to an engine management/tuning issue rather than an air in fuel/oil, electronics, or injector problem....I would think.
HAH! Well in that case, I'm going down to the burger joint this thursday, poppin the hood and braggin with all the other purple-tinted IROC's.

My guess was air too, but it did it for too long... So after reading some responses and talking with AutoMeter, I decided to disconnect my HPOP gauge. Surprise! That fixed it, for the most part at least... still slightly ruff.

I'll drive it around more before I question the Injection any further; only 70 miles on it so far.

The only other issue now is the flashing OD light.?.?
Every start up leads to high-rev late shifts, but only for the first two shifts; 1-2 and 2-3. As soon as those pass - which I can usually control by giving it some throttle and releasing- the OD light begins flashing and the shifts become normal.

Precision TC and TransGo ran fantastic on the last motor. BTS rebuilt my pump I installed with this motor, so no worries there. I'm thinking it might be the tunes...