Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High pressure oil leak test using air had leak at standpipe on left head, (o-ring brittle and it is new). After replaced air leak test is still coming from branch tube area. Anyone had this issue and had it repaired. Wondering what the cost for repair that since you have to pull the rear cover and if done in truck remove some of the rockers????? I'm an old Ford diesel mechanic and this is bothering me since the flat rate hour now at the door is $210.00

· "resident smarty pants"
5,626 Posts
Dang is it that high now???

There are some threads from folks that have done it. I'll see if I can find you some links.

I think branch tube problems are rare. More often, the issue is that an aftermarket standpipe was used, or there was a problem with installation.

I have switched to recommending a thicker Silicon based heavy oil, or even a grease, for coating the standpipe o-rings. On another forum, a member has determined that there is benefit to heating the o-rings in an oil bath before installation, and then letting them cool.

· Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
Are you sure it’s not the STC fitting? Branch tube failure is very rare.

In the truck it’s a monster job. Trans has to come out, and rear cover have to come out. You can try it with the heads on but it’s not easy especially for your first one.

· "resident smarty pants"
5,626 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
going to make sure tomorrow that IPR is completely closed and retest air leak test ----- I agree --- all the years I worked on these things I never saw an 05 with broken branch tube --- heard of the fitting blowing off but still didn't break the tube --- hope everything goes great tomorrow --- too old (76) to be working outside in my garage at 30 degrees, with no heat, on this thing. Last year broke two ribs when I had to put injectors in --- don't need a repeat
Thanks for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts