Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright truck is a 03 4x4. Approximately 3k miles ago the brakes starting grinding when slowing down. So I replaced the pads. 1000 miles later it starts doing it again. The axles got some salt water on them during hurricane Irene and one of the calibers locked up so I replaced Rotors Calibers and some new pads(again). Now with only like 100 miles on the new brakes and its starting to get worse.

I think the wheel bearings could be going out possibly making the noise but I just don't know. It sounds like its coming from the front but it could be coming from the back. Ill replace the pads this week and see if its that.

It sounds like a low pitch worn out brakes sound.

Dont know if it matters or not but truck only has 100k on it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Alright truck is a 03 4x4. Approximately 3k miles ago the brakes starting grinding when slowing down. So I replaced the pads. 1000 miles later it starts doing it again. The axles got some salt water on them during hurricane Irene and one of the calibers locked up so I replaced Rotors Calibers and some new pads(again). Now with only like 100 miles on the new brakes and its starting to get worse.

I think the wheel bearings could be going out possibly making the noise but I just don't know. It sounds like its coming from the front but it could be coming from the back. Ill replace the pads this week and see if its that.

It sounds like a low pitch worn out brakes sound.

Dont know if it matters or not but truck only has 100k on it.

check the wheel bearings. the fronts are non serviceable i believe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, they are non service able.

So I pulled the one of the rear wheels and checked the pads they look 20-30% but one of the rotors looks a little different than the other one has a chamfered edge approx 1/4in thick the other has chamfered edge maybe an 1/8th in on the outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts