Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get more braking power in the truck? I have new calipers and cheap pads(autozone lifetime), rear shoes look fine. Just trying to find a way to improve my stopping power, researched the hydroboost looks like an option but just thought I would see others view on this subject.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
671 Posts
Rear disc brake swap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into the rear disc swap what kit did you use? and did you keep your E brake? The hydroboost really improve your stopping? I have a 12V cummin in mine so all I need to do is get custom lines made up for it and add in the f450 hydroboost setup. Just trying to make sure its all worth it first. When you did the hydroboost was that the only mod you did at the time?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Get rid of those ####TY limetime pads that are so hard they cant grip the rotor

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just found a hydroboost setup from an f450 complete with master and press hoses for $100 bucks so Im going to pick that up and swap it in and do a set of wagner thermo quiet pads from Riebes.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
I just found a hydroboost setup from an f450 complete with master and press hoses for $100 bucks so Im going to pick that up and swap it in and do a set of wagner thermo quiet pads from Riebes.
What year f450? If its a SD then it will take alot of work to make it work, but if its a f-superduty/f450 1987-97 then its a bolt up setup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea its a 95. hopefully this weekend I'll get it put in, I think the fittings are the same between the powerstroke and cummins pump.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My truck has a 12 valve cummins in it, the hydroboost is from a f450. From what I found looking at the pumps it looks like the press hose is the same threads

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
My truck has a 12 valve cummins in it, the hydroboost is from a f450. From what I found looking at the pumps it looks like the press hose is the same threads
Some how I missed that in your signature

·
Registered
182 Posts
Im in need of a brake upgrade as well. Is the hydroboost conversion more beneficial than a rear disc swap? With the hydroboost, is the booster and lines the only thing you need?

Reactions: 04 stroker

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mastercylinder also from what I have seen. The problem with rear disc is you lose your e brake or have to put a car ebrake on it which isnt very effective. I have been searching for a different rear axle but coming up short, the newer chevy and dodge AAM 11.5 is disc but only comes in 3.73 or 4.10 and I need 3.55 with the cummins. The only real option I think is a dana 80 from a 01 dodge that is rear disc. I am going to put this setup on over the weekend so Ill let you know if it is worth it or not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The swap is worth it, best $100 bucks I have spent on the truck yet. I havent swapped my wagner pads over yet but will tonight. The truck stops so much better, the front doesnt dive the rear will lock up but I think with some weight in the truck it will be ok.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The swap is worth it, best $100 bucks I have spent on the truck yet. I havent swapped my wagner pads over yet but will tonight. The truck stops so much better, the front doesnt dive the rear will lock up but I think with some weight in the truck it will be ok.
You saying the rear locks up before the front? Mine does that right now also but I am still using the vaccum system. didn't seem to do it until after I swapped the D60 in, maybe just a coincedence. Hopefully this weekend I can get into it to see what is going on and maybe swap in the hydroboost system.

For those of you who have done the conversion, did you drain your old power steering fluid and put new in or just add new to it to get it back to the full? If you did drain it what is the best way to do it and do you need to bleed air out of the system and how? Thanks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Anyone have picts of one installed? And label which hoses go where. Thanks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Got it installed but would still like to see Some other installation pictures. What do you do with the ABS plug in that plugs into the original vacuum assist master cylinder? My ABS light is on now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just did the swap this weekend. Seems to take a more pedal effort, but so far the pedal has been consistent. Unlike with the vacuum because it would sometimes be really easy to push or rock hard and with basically no assist and possibly not be able to stop.

The annoying part is with the vacuum assist my rears locked up before the fronts and they still do with the hydro boost. Seemed to start after I put the D60 in so now I am wondering if maybe the front pads or rotors are glazed so not getting good friction. I think I had the rotors turned before but don't remember now. I may end up getting a proportioning valve for the rear line and try that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts