Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I step on the brakes it shakes BAD! I have searched this forum and googled for hours and the answers seem to bounce all over the place.

The shake is felt in my seat, as I can let go of the steering wheel and no movement there what so ever.

Somebody recommended pulling the release for the E-brake while applying the E-brake... Which should test whether it is the front or rear. Did that, Ebrake slows truck with no shaking.

Stopping from faster speeds 50+ seems to have worse shake than from 30 mph?

Any suggestions... Please!!!!

Thanks,

Kp

·
Registered
255 Posts
try new rotors and pads ? :shrug: fixed my truck before from shaking. usually happens coming out of the winter

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have you stomped on the brakes recently? What kind of pads are you running? Ceramic pads aren't a good idea on a heavy duty truck as they have "material transfer" that when you step on the brakes hard or heat them up high enough, the material from the pad will actually melt onto the rotor causing a shaking problem similar to having warped rotors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got the truck in January, so I'm not really sure what type of pads are on there, but the strange thing is the fact there is no shaking in the front end or steering wheel, and the emergency brake does not produce any shaking at all.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Sure sounds like warped rotors. Does the brake pedal pulse when it is shaking?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure sounds like warped rotors. Does the brake pedal pulse when it is shaking?
That's the thing, if it were warped rotors, wouldn't I feel it in the steering wheel? I can let go of the wheel and jam on the brakes and it won't shake a bit, but I can definitely feel it in the seat.

Should I get my mind of it being the rear brakes?

I live about an hour from the nearest parts house, with 30 minutes to the nearest chain parts store. So I was hoping to get a couple ideas that I could buy on the way home...

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's the thing, if it were warped rotors, wouldn't I feel it in the steering wheel? I can let go of the wheel and jam on the brakes and it won't shake a bit, but I can definitely feel it in the seat.

Should I get my mind of it being the rear brakes?

I live about an hour from the nearest parts house, with 30 minutes to the nearest chain parts store. So I was hoping to get a couple ideas that I could buy on the way home...

Thanks
Rotor problems will not always be felt in the steering wheel. You will feel a pulse in the pedal and when the truck is almost stopped you may feel your body being 'thrown' forward and back, as if you were pushing and releasing the pedal.

brake issues that are felt in the wheel are usually caliper problems, brake line issues such as a collapsed line that runs from the frame to the wheel, or alignment issues that only show up under braking.

Rear brake issues that make you notice that there is a problem tend to be, low brake pedal caused by improperly adjusted rear brakes or a problem with the parking brake.

Hud

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Old and contaminated fluid can also make things appear rotors are warped. Brake fluid must be changed every 3 years
I agree on changing brake fluid but do not follow you on this old fluid making it appear that rotors are warped.

·
Registered
111 Posts
resurface the rear drums.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I gaurentee front pads and rotors will fix it (ASE certified mastertech so ive seen it a few times lol). You can save a buck if the rotors are machineable by getting the excessive runout machined out and just replacing the pads. if the pads are good you could sand them smooth but i wouldnt reccomend it unless youre tight for money and pads are like new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all! I'll head to Orielly and get some rotors and pads on the way home.... I let you all know!

kp

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts

Should I get my mind off it being the rear brakes?

Thanks
Yes, you said yourself it did not reproduce the symptoms when you used your e brake to slow down. E brake is rear, so I would say since it only happens when you use all the brakes, but not when you use just the rear. So that equals front, like everyone said already, rotors and pads will more then likely cure what ails your truck.

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
I am almost certain that your problem is the drums. You may not be applying identical pressure with the parking brake that you are with the pedal. If you don't feel any vibration in the steering wheel, don't mess with the rotors. Disassemble the rear drums and perform a thourough inspection. Look or any discoloration that may clue you in on an over heating issue. Clean and lubricate all drum brake hardware and replace pads if neccessary. Before you resurface the drums check the minimum thickness and measure how much warpage is there. If the drums will be close to minimum thickness after resurfacing them, just replace them. A thin drum (or rotor) will warp before a thicker one.

I am no not a technician but these are my thoughts. You could always break it down and measure for your warpage before you buy anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am almost certain that your problem is the drums. You may not be applying identical pressure with the parking brake that you are with the pedal. If you don't feel any vibration in the steering wheel, don't mess with the rotors. Disassemble the rear drums and perform a thourough inspection. Look or any discoloration that may clue you in on an over heating issue. Clean and lubricate all drum brake hardware and replace pads if neccessary. Before you resurface the drums check the minimum thickness and measure how much warpage is there. If the drums will be close to minimum thickness after resurfacing them, just replace them. A thin drum (or rotor) will warp before a thicker one.

I am no not a technician but these are my thoughts. You could always break it down and measure for your warpage before you buy anything.
:whs: (I am a ASE Master Tech, L-1 State Inspector, State Licensed Emission Inspector), so I have seen a few also. Its in the drums if you feel it in the seat. Ump What now??:poke:

·
Registered
482 Posts
:whs: (I am a ASE Master Tech, L-1 State Inspector, State Licensed Emission Inspector), so I have seen a few also. Its in the drums if you feel it in the seat. Ump What now??:poke:
:pointlaugh::doh: Guess i need to read closer, didn't see that he only felt it in the seats, so yea ,your'e right. Seems odd that the park brake isnt making it show up but ive seen stranger things.LOL
Also you have me beat in certifications, but I'm only 19 and never had any automotive schooling at all so maybe someday ill be as awesome as you. lol jk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Texas PM

You've got a bit of a squabble on your hands..:mad::blah:. You better post your repairs and what results you get!!!!:swordfight:

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
You are humble too. Well, for your sake let's hope you are right. If you are right, you just out diagnosed a pencil pushing railroader. If you are a wrong a railroader just out diagnosed an "ASE Master Tech, L-1 State Inspector, and State Liscensed Emission Inspector" via the internet. I have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You are humble too. Well, for your sake let's hope you are right. If you are right, you just out diagnosed a pencil pushing railroader. If you are a wrong a railroader just out diagnosed an "ASE Master Tech, L-1 State Inspector, and State Liscensed Emission Inspector" via the internet. I have nothing to lose.
Heh, nobody does, its just the internets. lol. Plus it could be a freak thing, I've seen noisy right-hand wheel bearings get quiet when going around a turn to the left! That's completely opposite of normal. Im slowly and painfully learning that you never say "that's what's wrong with your vehicle" without fully diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I say TexasPM should get new pad,shoes, rotors and drums. He will be fixed for sure and everyone will be right no matter how many bullsheet certification we have.:dfpsn:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts