Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a while now my brakes have been pretty soft and spongey, not too bad i've kinda gotten used to it, but just recently when i hit the brakes the pedal seems to take a long time to get back to my foot

Wondering what you guys think? Vacuum pump? or something else

thanks

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
If the pedal is slow to return to position you most likely have a bad master cylinder. Look under the dash where the rod from the brake pedal goes through the firewal and see if there is any fluid there. If you don't have an issue there check your wheel cylinders to see if they are leaking but my money is on the master cylinder being bad.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
With a soft pedal you always need to try adjusting up the rear drum brakes, they never seem to keep adjustment, and when out of adjustment require more pedal movement before they engage.

When the vacuum pump starts to get weak, the pedal will get hard and travel will get shorter with repeated pumping. Also the brake light will come on when the vacuum drops low enough, and go out after vacuum builds again.

Dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
Agree with both posts... but to isolate the Master Cylinder , unplug the vacuum line from the booster and see what brakes do. If they operate normally but are hard it is your booster that is bad .... If they are stll spongy , you have an internal leak in the master you could try to bleed it but it's easier to just replace it. Don't forget to bench bleed it before connecting the lines or you will be bleeding the brakes forever ....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think im gonna try to bleed the pi$$ out of my brakes first cause my master cylinder is less than 6 months old

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Well that info would have been useful in your first post.:poke: Since the master is new, have the brakes been spongy since you put the new master in? If so then there is air in the lines.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that info would have been useful in your first post.:poke: Since the master is new, have the brakes been spongy since you put the new master in? If so then there is air in the lines.
yeah i guess i should of mentioned that:doh:LOL

i had no brakes before the master install, but then after the install and bleeding them forever i had good brakes but kinda soft, but just recently it started returning really slow to my foot, so maybe there is still air in the lines...

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder first? If not then as stated above you will have to bleed them forever. A good trick to try is to open all the bleeders and fill the master cylinder and leave the cap off while watching the fluid level in the master cylinder. It is called gravity bleeding. let them bleed down for several minutes and then cap the master and close all the bleeders and have someone help pump bleed the brakes and see how it is then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts