Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the problem, brake pedal is not solid like it should be and when the pedal is apllied I hear a noise coming from the brake pedal it self inside the cab. Brake pads, fluid and lines are good to go. One other thing i noticed is after pulling the camper and unhooking from it the brakes are sollid like they are supposed to be which is really nice, but after a while they will fade away.
Not sure where to start, I have used the search engine here and did a lot of reading and didnt really run across anything that sounded familiar to me. What would cause the trailer brakes make the truck brakes run better after being uhooked?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Fade as you describe may be from contaminated (water) in the fluid. I flush my fluid any time I do any work on the brake system. Cheap insurance and it helps keep the system in top shape.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
^^^^^What he said, brake fluid is the most commonly overlooked item in vehicles. Brake fluid breaks down and separates and boils after several years of service. Dot rating is resistance to boil and believe it or not that fluid gets extremely hot from the pressure in the hydraulics, look at the color odds are it's a greenish black if it's been in too long.
Brake fluid starts out clear and over time condensation moisture comes through the steel lines and vent as well as older dot3 has a water base that separates from chemical suspension and to keep from having master cylinder and calipers from rusting out bores and calipers hanging up (change it every 4 Years) and money will never be spent on these things.

There are you tube videos on how to it's easy enough to do it with gravity and occasional tapping on brake pedal starting from furthest wheel to master cylinder. A vaccum gun makes it much easier but time very well spent for every vehicle. DOT4 should be used for our trucks it is a upgrade from DOT3 and wil raise the fluids boiling temp and is a better synthetic fluid that is not a water base which in turn will allow us to stand on the brakes harder without it having any problems.

After you do that, change the fluid in the hydro-boost also on you-tube,get 4 quarts of fluid remove the 3/8 return hose and put on your own hose and drop into a 5 gallon bucket. If you have a suction gun pull the fluid out of reservoir and refill with new lift front axle start truck and slowly turn wheel lock to lock as you press down on brakes occasionally. Fill as you go, once all old fluid is out reconnect return line and fill to proper level.
Doing both of these things will bring your brake system back to new specs as well as your p/s and keep you from spending money in future repairs. Fluids should be less than $40.00, money very well spent and we are talking about the brakes here. Very important maintenance often overlooked. Now I'm done.............. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will give it a try, the steering gearbox was changed out 20k miles back and just put new pads on the front, I will change the fluids and see how she reacts.

Thanks for the great wright up, i will deffinatley save it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts