Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time no speak! I haven't been on any of the forums in quite a while. Life gets in the way but I should have some more time now to hang out.

I have a 2003 F-250 4X4 6.0. A tire rubbed through a front brake line on my way home one day and it was about a 6 mile trip back and lost most of the brake fluid. The master cylinder would up going dry. We replaced the front brake lines and attempted to bleed the brakes. We were getting nothing but a very sold stream from the rears at a quarter turn. Got a lot of air out of the fronts but after a while at 1/4 turn, there was nothing, 1/2 turn it piddled out.

We tried bleeding the entire system several times and then started looking at different sites for other methods and tricks, all with the same results. With the engine off, I can get a fairly firm pedal but still nothing out of the front calipers as far as pressure. With it running, the pedal goes straight to the floor and still no pressure from the calipers. Any ideas?

Sorry about the novel

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Are you letting the brake pedal return all the way up before you push it back down again, it has to come back all the way so fluid can fill the cylinder part of the master cylinder. If thats not the problem try to bleed the master by cracking the lines at the MC. Did you change calipers? maybe you have them on the wrong side??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I let the pedal come all the way to the top. We did not replace the calipers. I am going to try and bleed the MC. I also heard there is a bleeder for the ABS and that I may also have to bleed the hydroboost. Just some things I have been finding with Google. I'll probably just go buy a manual today and bleed everything.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
the hydroboost doesn't have brake fluid ,, just ATF so that shouldn't be a concern since it is tied to your power steering and self bleeds

good manuals are hard to find ,, IMHO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts