Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive read the threads here that seemed applicable to my situation but none quite fit what ive got...

This just started the other day but has been consistent ever since, it is not intermittent. Before with my brakes I would hit them and it would be a good solid pedal right away, Now I hit my brakes and it will fade to about half pedal then become rigid. Ive also noticed at slow speeds full lock turning rather forward or reverse the brake feels as though its going into an ABS stop with the pedal high and hard and pulsing as you feel with an emergency stop situation. Ive put the truck on my lift and inspected, ive lost no fluid out of the reservoir, all my lines and hoses appear rigid and from what I can tell none are ballooning out either. All of my front end suspension is tight, there is no play from any ball joints or steering arms. The master cylinder and booster along with sensors and harness are all new from previous owner, and all look to be in good shape.

I was thinking the possibility of the vacuum pump however I do not see this explaining the ABS interception feel im getting.
A bad wheel speed sensor or inclement wheel would explain the ABS feel but not the pedal fade.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There are no wheel speed sensors. ABS is rear only, so steering shouldn't affect it. The only sensor is the VSS on the diff.

Just spitballin', but I'm thinking if it acts differently while steering, maybe one or both of the flexible lines going to the front calipers is pinching closed while steering.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. I just drove up to get some food and while sitting in the parking lot I could hear a slight wine noise. When I out my foot on the brake hard and it slowly fades to the floor as it does the whine goes away. Turn the truck off and pump te pedal it becomes high and hard as it should, start the truck and it fades slowly back down, this sounds to me like a booster but the noise is concerning.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Are your rear brake adjusted up. They can back off on there own or not adjust over time. I have had the front brake do all the work and set off the abs in the rear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old smokey, the more I research the more I'm thinking that could be a big part of what's going on, I think I'm gonna pull the rear apart and have A gander see what's going on in there

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I found out that if your parking brake cables are bad or stuck on a little it can mess up the way they adjust. I had one side keep backing off with no reason. I replaced the cable and so far so good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thats interesting. I have been using my parking brake alot more than usual lately and thats when this started.

How was replacing the cable? and where did you purchase it from?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Getting a firm pedal and having it drop is an indicator of an internal master cylinder leak. You won't lose any fluid, but it does get past the seals that create pressure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okkk figured it out... turns out the on the passenger rear shoes one of the shoes had seperated from its metal backing ie the rivets let go, so the friction material was just floating around which explains why it was sometimes hard pedal and others very soft....so now i need to rebuild... Where is a good place to get everything from? Not looking to do anything fancy or crazy at this point. I would like to rebuild completely with new wheel cylinders as well

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Drums are expensive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out, cheaper to buy them from Ford... With my discount of course. $200.00 out the door for new shoes and drums

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, the passenger side friction material separated from the metal backing and was digging into the drum. The driver side had just completely disintegrated, there was nothing left. I replaced both drums and shoes now she stops like a dream again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts