Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
DOT 3 fluid. DOT 4 is silicon based and I don't like it for street vehicles since it has a high affinity for air. So buy any decent brand of glycol based brake fluid, I refer to stay with what Ford supplies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used Valvoline

·
Gun Clinger
58 Posts

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Yup your correct, been long time since I bought brake fluid. Just add one to my numbers. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I flush my brake fluid every couple of years, DOT 3 & 4 fluids absorb moisture from the atmoshere which leads to corrosion of the system. Corrosion products chew elastomers. With 260K on my Y2K PSDX, I have never touched my master cylinder or calipers. I have never had to change a master cylinder on any of my vehicles since 1985 when I started flushing the systems regularly. Stock elastomers are not compatible with DOT 5. If you use DOT 5, you have to change out all of the elastomers in the system.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
ATE Super Blue

AP Race PRF600

Motul 5.1 (this is not silicone dot5) good for abs

Motul RBF 600

Castrol SRF the best of the best and also most $$$

You should flush your brake system at a min of every 2 years 1 year for heavy use in wet humid areas. Bleed the caliper portion of all brakes anytime you have brake fade as that equals boiled fluid @ the caliper.

Flush your PW steering every year and ideally add a inline filter to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts