Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old But Sexy
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called advance auto for brake calipers and she asked me if they regular or phernaic? (spelling) what are they?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
She was referring to the pistons in the caliper phonic are a plastic like material (blackish) regular are steel

·
Old But Sexy
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i want the steel?

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
The phenolic where stock on my truck. I think the theory is they transfer less heat to the brake fluid.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I just went through this last winter, I never got a good answer but I think the phenolic pistons are oe. I think I would be matching both sides first then decide if ford had a good Idea or if the aftermarket knows better.

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
Phenolic can crack/crumble and I've heard they a a bit more prone to sticking. My original calipers had steel pistons and the new ones also came with steel. I'd rather have steel pushing on the pads than plastic.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The phenolic where stock on my truck. I think the theory is they transfer less heat to the brake fluid.
This is what I've read also, I don't think it's a big problem using them since that's what ford uses.

Travis

PS
I've been having my share of brake issues all parts from Napa and I think if I had to do it over again I pay the extra and go with Ford stuff.... I'm just thinking my chances of getting sub-par stuff would have been way less....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.