Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am looking to remove my OEM oil cooler and want to do a BPD or IPR oil cooler relocation...

i am looking for honest opinions on both, i have been doing my own research and have found this to be a VERY TOUCHY subject.

so here is where i am at with pros and cons on both.

BPD
Pros
well known, many on here use it
can delete the whole oil filter/fuel filter bowls with regulated return (another thing i will be doing in the future)
the look is very clean, the remote oil filter looks more appealing to me.

Cons
pulling apart the front end to install
i think my tires are too large and may make the new oil filter location a little interesting.
dont like that i may have to also change out the fan clutch to make everything more effective due to the new found heat near the condenser for AC
the cost (i get i am relieving future problems and it is worth the money)

IPR remote cooler
Pros
uses a factory oil cooler
easy location to replace if needed
less work overall
the true inline filter is a nice touch being right before going to the cooler

Cons
do not like that i cannot free up space under the hood.
uses a very odd filter, and still need to buy o-rings from them to change the oil.
not as well known as BPD (doesnt affect anything, just very new to me)

so this is where i am at with both of these kits/mods. i like the idea of keeping the operation of the OEM oil cooler, to the extent of the oil and cooling system working as it is intended to be. but at the same time i feel separating them will also help keep the coolant cooler for the motor and make it somewhat more effective.

lets hear some thoughts!

·
Registered
84 Posts
So i am looking to remove my OEM oil cooler and want to do a BPD or IPR oil cooler relocation...

i am looking for honest opinions on both, i have been doing my own research and have found this to be a VERY TOUCHY subject.

BPD
Pros
can delete the whole oil filter/fuel filter bowls with regulated return (another thing i will be doing in the future)

Cons
i think my tires are too large and may make the new oil filter location a little interesting.
dont like that i may have to also change out the fan clutch to make everything more effective due to the new found heat near the condenser for AC

IPR remote cooler
Pros
less work overall

Cons
uses a very odd filter, and still need to buy o-rings from them to change the oil.

so this is where i am at with both of these kits/mods. i like the idea of keeping the operation of the OEM oil cooler, to the extent of the oil and cooling system working as it is intended to be. but at the same time i feel separating them will also help keep the coolant cooler for the motor and make it somewhat more effective.

lets hear some thoughts!
Have you pulled the trigger on one of these yet? I just installed the IPR remote oil cooler this weekend and hope to have it buttoned up today. So far the install has been super easy.... Only issue that I have is how to properly "clock" the oil filter cap assembly but I've been in contact with Vince and he's helping me out with that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven’t, no one responded and my oil cooler is going strong, the issues with the one you did is that I don’t trust the oil filter due to looks to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the BPD air to oil cooler with the heavy larger cooler. It is probably over kill for what I do, but the peace of mind that I get from knowing my oil cooler will not clog while towing my toy hauler with the family is worth it. I had no idea about the fan clutch when I did and bought the expensive plow clutch if I could do it over I would have got the 7.3 adapter and ran the 7.3 manual fan. I just had gear head adjust my towing tune to kick the fan in based of my oil temp not the coolant temp and it works great. I run 35 x 12.5 tires with a 4” lift tires are no where close to the filter. I even leave the oil filter guard off because it is a pain to get on and off to change the oil. I can’t think of any thing negative since doing it in nov of 2016. I did do studs and the bpd egr cooler when it was done.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the biggest thing that kicks me to the BPD setup is the fact of room that can be gained with the kit, you can do a full fuel filter and oil filter bowl delete when you add regulated return.... but to be honest the IPR is a better option for true effective cooling with the water to oil. but i still dont want to keep clogging oil coolers, cause idk who you are, it will continue to happen.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
but i still dont want to keep clogging oil coolers, cause idk who you are, it will continue to happen.
Not true at all. Well, unless you let it be....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
I agree. I am at 206k miles and never had a clogged oil cooler (OEM oil cooler). Temperature differentials are still 4-6 *F.

Reactions: 79jasper

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. I am at 206k miles and never had a clogged oil cooler (OEM oil cooler). Temperature differentials are still 4-6 *F.

I get that, and I have been taking every measure to prevent it from happening and I have been successful thus far.... I honestly don’t want to ever have to think about it

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the BPD on my 05. I had a blowout on the front tire next to the oil filter. It did not affect it at all. Maybe I was just lucky but that was my biggest concern when installing it. Turns out it was needless worrying. I used Wix, Fram, and Carpro filters. A buddy of mine found a John Deere filter that fit it. I’m considering the IPR on my 07 but I haven’t decided yet. Hope that my $.02 helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts

BPD
Pros

Cons

IPR remote cooler
Pros
less work overall

Cons

lets hear some thoughts!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I have and installed the bpd oil cooler delete kit on my early 04 works great install lil bit of pain but worth it I think on my daily to work and back oil temps are under 190 pulling or towing 205 is the highest I have seen so far...been on the since last winter having temps in the 80s the last couple days 198 205 I did a full on delete tho egr the egr cooler the coolant temps at 195 pretty steady there will hit 199 at times maybe 200.. I read a lot of bad things about ipr kits they leak and what not but never tried one kinda want to put on my other truck and compare the numbers

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
if i recal the IPR sender is relocated so the temps won't be apple to apple with a BPD kit or OEM temps ( BPD does not move the sender .

I have seen some pretty detailed videos about the IPR leaking from a less than satisfied professional installer
never seen much if any bad about BPD

BPD is releasing a new relocate kit soon for the 6.0 and it uses the BPD oversized 6.7 cooler
I have had the 6.0 BPD relocate kit for years and years and a lot of miles with no issues

i can see oil temps climb a little high =220 + when towing and outside temps over 110 but the blue wire fan mod really brings temps down fast

1 - 14 of 14 Posts