Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an estimate today for a 400hp built trans with a billet triple disc converter. Just wondering if the parts they have listed will stand up to around 400 hp and 800 ft/lbs. Truck is stock for now except tymar intake and turbo back 4 inch exhaust. I know bts is the rave but being in college, money is tight. I want to build it once and be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
I know you said you cant afford a BTS but from what I know I say pass and wait until you can afford a BTS. Seems everyone who has tried the route you want to take ends up breaking it and are out a few grand that would have covered a good chunk of a proven trans. If you want to build it once and be done take the advice of 99.9% of the people on here and go with a BTS the first time.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Won't stand up to what you want..BTS..I'm a dealer and have best price drop shiped..PM me if I can help

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Better Then John Woods??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know, i know. Yes, i wish i could afford a bts, but i want opinions on the build sheet bowlers gave me. I don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but unless you're a trans builder how do you know it wont stand up to what i want. Plus i would rather trust them than someone that has their own trans shop that isn't that well known. end of rant :(

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
I got an estimate today for a 400hp built trans with a billet triple disc converter. Just wondering if the parts they have listed will stand up to around 400 hp and 800 ft/lbs. Truck is stock for now except tymar intake and turbo back 4 inch exhaust. I know bts is the rave but being in college, money is tight. I want to build it once and be done.
i know, i know. Yes, i wish i could afford a bts, but i want opinions on the build sheet bowlers gave me. I don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but unless you're a trans builder how do you know it wont stand up to what i want. Plus i would rather trust them than someone that has their own trans shop that isn't that well known. end of rant :(

Then why in the heck did you even make this thread?

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Talk to the builder & find out what else he has built & how good he is on his warrenty. I know plenty of trucks running small shop trannys that hold up just fine & don't break the bank.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Find out what brand converter he's using.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then why in the heck did you even make this thread?
To get honest opinions of what transmissions people are running and how they are holding up, and how much they paid for it.

Find out what brand converter he's using.
Its a triple disc billet steel converter I believe it to be from TCS Converters part# F-63 SD SUPER DUTY SERIES (RV & EXTREME DUTY). Their transmissions includes a standard 12-month warranty with optional warranty upgrades up to 5 years

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Judging by the build sheet, it's a stock rebuild with a Tugger kit and a billet converter. I don't see anything about using better frictions and steels, or upgraded planetaries and shells.

I do not think what you're thinking of getting will hold 400hp reliably. You'd be in the same boat if you had them put a converter and VB in it now.

I was in your exact position a few years ago, in college with a set of stage II's and a trans that had some slippage. I was careful with it until I got out of college and saved the money up for a BTS. It was well worth it.

You can also look up RacerX transmission kits, at least then you'd know you were getting better parts for your trans builder to put in. It won't be $2200, but it won't be the price of a BTS either.

Dave

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Better Then John Woods??
Will he do THIS?

That was the reason I bought BTS. I could have gone either way but this was the clincher. Plus the fact I don't have to worry about power levels between Towmaster or at that time Level 1 or whatever.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Dave said it best..its basically a stock rebuild

Best parts if a DYI..John Wood has kits.

Question BTS Vrs JW..same $$ spent..BTS hands down as JW has 3-4 levels of builds..best costs more. Both builders are the best their are.

·
Registered
392 Posts
By request of 97PowerJoker250HD this comment is posted: Some parts estimated aren't for your 97. The estimate assumes the pump is ok, but may not be. Neither BTS or Racer X estimates builds without new pumps, all upgrades possible and custom modifications for modified truck use. Plus cooler and converter & more.
Looks like an oem rebuild estimate from a part data base w/errors.

OFF TOPIC:
Collision insurance estimates by adjusters use a similar data base. Most have part # errors too. If they are reputable insurers:
They cover the errors by having the body shop call for approval of any adjustments.
The worst insurance companies use junk yard parts for collision estimates, and call to find out if storage fees are being accessed, when their driver hits a car that needs towing. They know if the victim has rental insurance...then may wait 30 days to send out an adjuster. We shouldn't say which in a public forum. Only...who do you call when the smoke alarm goes off in a building? ;)

:bowfast: Kudos to all the real firefighters out there! :bowfast:

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I'm happy with my backyard tranny builder & RacerX converter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your guys opinions. I'm not the kind of guy that likes to keep bugging people, but i'll talk to them more about the parts they use and what else they upgrade then go from there. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts