Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 1994 7.3 powerstroke f-350 4x4 5 speed manual the speedometer bounces not so much at 35 mph but gettin up to 60 it starts to go crazy it'll be still then bounce for a little and go back to being steady i replaced the abs wheel speed sensor but didnt help any tips on what could be causing this problem? :confused:

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
Do you have larger than stock tires?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im running 265/75/r16 and the previous owner told me it had progressively started doing it and now it does it worst causing my cruiz to shut off

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
So you changed the sensor in the rear axle? Did you check the wiring? Any brake lights out? Check the 3rd brake light above the rear window.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all brake lights work actionrick thats a good point i'll have to take a wire wheel and clean all the rust to bare metal and yea sensor has been replaced havent checked all the wires but checked where it plugs in and made sure they were good to where it plugs in to the sensor itself

·
way tooo slow
6 Posts
hate to say it but could be the rear end showing signs of giving out...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you sure of that? what makes you think that?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i should also mention that i believe at one point the truck may have been stolen so is it possible a wire is bad or is my speedo guage cluster bad? it bounces more and more as i go faster on the freeway

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
Just out of curiosity when you are backing up in the morning or just random points in the day do you hear a clunk sound coming from the rear end of the truck?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like a constant clunk clunk clunk as im backing up? no i dont hear anything

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
Na just one clunk.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no i dont hear any clunk or anything but as i drive faster and faster the speedometer starts to bounce more and more at 10-35 its pretty solid (very little bounce) at 60 it bounces like crazy

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
Alright, my speedometer also has a slight bobble at 55-60 mph other than that it's steady. But my rear diff was changed out with a new Detroit locker last year so I highly doubt it's the rear diff going bad. If you have doubts it's really easy to pull the cover and check things out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i checked my tone ring looked through the vss sensor hole and well the tone ring is ****** half of it looks good the other half looks like its been kinda chewed up i worry about the metal in the rear diff any idea where id look to find this ring and how bad is it to change you figure?

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
If you have metal chunks floating around in your rear diff that's bad news. If you have time and and a good level of mechanical skill you can change out the rear differential in a day. Look into some of the site sponsors for replacing the rear diff.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
probly metal from the small amount of the tone ring that got chewed up its a fine dust from what i can see so tmrw i'll start by taking the cover off and cleaning the hell out of the rear end i think the vss that someone put in was wrong and the tip of it made contact with the tone ring idk i'll see rear end doesnt seem bad just yet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts