Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never gotten to post up here in the 6.0 section before...... until today!
Heres the details, ill try to keep it short and sweet.
05 6.0, sclb, 4x4 fully deleted, 180,000 miles

I purchased the truck from a guy after it wouldn't start, heres the deal tho. I wheeled and dealed on the truck a month ago after he couldn't get it running, the guy and I couldn't meet on a price. after that the guy went out one day and the truck started rite up, he drove it for two weeks with no problems. He went out yesterday to start it and it was back to not starting. he called me and we settled on a price so I went and picked it up today. I haven't messed with it much but I put my AE on it tonight and found FICM is at 48.5 while cranking but icp is only at 136 psi.
Im new to the 6.0 and not real knowledgeable on them. I could use any advice on this, thanks guys!

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one thing I forgot to mention, he put a new ICP sensor in it as well. It didn't help, I tried starting it with it plugged in and unplugged......still no start.

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
You may have to replace the pigtail also.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can I test the pigtail?

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
That Im not too sure about, I would think you could test it with a voltmeter, dont quote me on that though.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
You most likely have a leak in the HPO system. You will need to pressure test it to find it, common leaks are the STC fitting, stand pipes and dummy plugs.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to post about testing the system, someone beat me to it though. I did some reading on this procedure last night, has anyone done this, does anyone have any tips or tricks?

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive watched a few videos on youtube on how to pressure test the system, can you control the ipr through the AE software or do I need to wire the ipr to 12 volts to close it?

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I came in from pressure testing the system. After talking with a buddy that's done this before, he said it wasn't necessary to energize the ipr valve, so I didn't do that, maybe someone can share their thoughts on that point. anyways, I put air to the system, for the first 30-45 seconds I couldn't hear anything, after that I could hear a faint gurgling coming from the valley. I had a length of hose I ran into the oil fill spout and into the ccv, I couldn't hear a distinct sound coming from either side but could hear the faint gurgling from both sides. It almost sounded like it was oil being pushed out of the system. can anyone shed anymore light on this for me? thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you want to test icp sensor just unplug it, it will run with it unplugged if thats the issue but its sounds like your ipr valve is bad under turbo. If it was a leak it would start when cold but not when hot in most cases...

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I went back and retested after I pulled the turbo and cover off the hpop. I energized the ipr and sent air into the icp fitting. I can hear air coming out from under the hpop......can't exactly pinpoint the location but it's definitely coming from underneath. I energized the ipr for 30 seconds then unhooked power to ipr......The flow of air didn't change.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Which is to say that your IPR randomly sticks open and allows HPO to bypass instead of building ICP.... Red Dog is correct... Not very often will you have a seal type leak that comes and goes randomly.... Usually when a rubber seal blows, its done for.. Small seal leaks due to sealing surface imperfections of the o rings will usually be less pronounced when oil is cold and thick, but when oil is hot and thin it will go through places quite small, i.e. a worn or split or cracked seal, thus creating an inability of the HPOP to provide enough oil volume at the requested pressure...

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in the same boat as you guys, I'm suspecting a bad ipr as well, I picked a new one up yesterday and will install it soon. The only thing I'm wondering now is if the small air leak under the hpop is normal? Should there be any air leaking at all or if I'm hearing leaking air under the hpop is that the sign of a bad oring somewhere. Like I said before, it's a small amount of air leaking but I can definitely tell it's coming from under the hpop. I just don't want to put it all back together just to find out I should have fixed something while I had it apart. It does have the updated stc fitting and that's not where it's leaking from. It coming from underneath. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I would do your self a favor, pull the pump out while you have everything apart and replace the STC fitting on the pump. I would even consider replacing the pump. But at the least replace that fitting. if your not hearing air from the valve covers, you leak is in the area of the pump. when you pull the pump out, you will most likely see that the fitting is infact loose. You can not really tell this when the pump is bolted in place. Also pull the IPR valve and check the screen. See if its still intact and if there is any debris on it. The STC kit will come with a new screen.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it running, it was a bad IPR valve. im just going to throw this out there in case someone ever runs into this in a search. When you pressure test the system with air, you will be able to hear a small amout of air coming out of the pump. When you energize the ipr valve (assuming its working) with 12v you should be able to hear the flow of air stop. if you energize the ipr and still hear air leaking from under the pump, that means the ipr valve is not working. thanks for everyones input. it really helped a lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts