Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen or felt the difference in lower rpm spool up of both/either the s366 or 364.5 sxe series? my truck is only used to pull a camper and i have the s366 sxe as i didn't know the 364.5 existed and it's isn't a great low rpm spooling turbo. i am running hybrid 205/30% inj's and adrenaline with a hydra tuner. the s366 sxe hits 1 psi at 1500 rpm, push wot then lights around 1800 rpm, and hits 30 psi by 2400

·
young guy, old trucks
152 Posts
The 364.5 in my 6.7 spools pretty much the same and the 6.7 is supposed to be faster flowing platform do to the exhaust manifolds in the valley.

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have a compound borgwarner turbo set up then or a single? it is interesting that your 6.7 drives the turbo about the same considering the system!

i am curious how low in the rpm band the 364.5 will spool on a 7.3. the tunes that came in my hydra tuner are power hungry tunes, full force loaded for me. couldn't figure out why i now have a cruise light on the dash until i talked to power hungry. i was informed they loaded the wrong tunes, said they were for an e99 but not for my ecu and surprised the engine even ran. it runs but idles bad, so maybe once i get the tunes i bought couple nights ago from 1023 it will run better and actually idle smooth. funny thing is if i switch it out of stock to light or heavy tow 75% of the bad idles stops, it stops shaking the truck anyway. full force said i needed to put 100 miles on it to get the air bubble out of the oil system. i installed there hybrid 205/30% inj's as well as an adrenaline and t4 irate kit and s366 sxe at the same time. i thought that's possible but the fact changing from stock to tow tune takes that much of the issue out i leaned more towards that and after 150 miles and burping the oil rails 3 times nothing has changed, slightly better but no real change. i am betting the irate t4 kit i got ,was designed for the l99/up and automatic trans as it doesn't fit well in the e99 with a manual. it's working but rubs the head on pass side in one spot, innercooler tubes don't fit well either. had to pull the leaf spring bolt and bend the pinch weld over about 1/4" to get the down pipe in. worst part is that has to be dropped to get the pass valve cover off ever again! the down pipe rubs the heat shield on my fire wall also, no other way i can see to adjust that so may have to take it out and build my own i guess.

had a dp f5 but had a couple issues so thought i would try hydra this go around. so far (even with wrong tune) it solved the take off issue. don't have to switch to stock mode and take off in granny low anymore. always thought it was odd he said the tunes are the same for an auto vs manual . his tunes were spot on for my 1995 f250 auto just not for my manual.

any way ........just curious if anyone has tracked the 364.5 at the low rpm spool is what i need for pulling a toyhauler camper only! i ask because i'm worried this may dog out like like the late 99 turbo while towing. since i run 1800 rpm while at 60 to 65 mph and 2300 to 2400 in the innerstate.

·
young guy, old trucks
152 Posts
I'm running a single turbo setup. The s364.5 won't start making more than 3 psi until 1800rpm but will pull all the way to red line. My truck when on the dyno was a light haze at wot. The gtp38 in an e99 and an sxe series turbo are two completely different beasts. The sxe has a larger exhaust wheel and turbine wheel which is more weight to spin so therefore takes more force, but top end for days. All the issues you've described above sound like tuning issues to me, especially if your chip is flashed for the the wrong pcm. Get tunes for the right pcm and there will be a big difference. Also the 7.3 revs higher than the 6.7 and with the manual you'll spend more time in the higher revs making boost vs a 6.7.
edit: added the video of my truck on the dyno so you can see smoke output and how it spooled. It hit 40 ibs of boost very quickly after 1800 rpm and did 140 km/h in fourth gear. The import guys who run that dyno were pretty impressed by the torque numbers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw80uuk0e12u9tv/VID_265330324_014848_383.mp4?dl=0

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
You will definitely like the 364.5 better than the 366. You have pretty small injector and it should pair well. Especially with a standard.

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running a single turbo setup. The s364.5 won't start making more than 3 psi until 1800rpm but will pull all the way to red line. My truck when on the dyno was a light haze at wot. The gtp38 in an e99 and an sxe series turbo are two completely different beasts. The sxe has a larger exhaust wheel and turbine wheel which is more weight to spin so therefore takes more force, but top end for days. All the issues you've described above sound like tuning issues to me, especially if your chip is flashed for the the wrong pcm. Get tunes for the right pcm and there will be a big difference. Also the 7.3 revs higher than the 6.7 and with the manual you'll spend more time in the higher revs making boost vs a 6.7.
edit: added the video of my truck on the dyno so you can see smoke output and how it spooled. It hit 40 ibs of boost very quickly after 1800 rpm and did 140 km/h in fourth gear. The import guys who run that dyno were pretty impressed by the torque numbers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw80uuk0e12u9tv/VID_265330324_014848_383.mp4?dl=0

problem is i don't spend much time above 1800 rpm while towing hwy's. not much of our drive is innerstate which is 2200 to 2400 rpm depending. the tunes will def help and it's been 48 hrs since i emailed full force three times, left two messages (one with a gal that answered) and still not correct tunes or call back. not sure what happened to full force diesel but customers don't come first anymore.

nice video but i didn't go to all this trouble to run mine high or race it. it's just to better tow my toy hauler. i already installed the parts but have been thinking about changing to the s364.5 just wanting to see if there were any specs like this out there??? like this guy.....238/80% inj's and s366 sxe turbo pulling grade, with a 38" gooseneck loaded about 28k gross in the video. this is a good comparison but 238/80 vs my 205/30 is what i don't know how to compare.

·
young guy, old trucks
152 Posts
I think with these bigger sxe turboes you might find that to pull heavy cool and smoke free you might have to drop a gear and spin a few more revs. It seems counter productive but the extra flow from the turbo spooling a bit harder will make a difference. From what you're saying about your experience with the s366 and given my experience with the s364.5, I don't think you'd find a huge difference in spool up imo. As for tunes, Have you tried G3arhead tuning or even php themselves? Both have been good to me for responding quickly.

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as far as tunes go i actually purchased tunes from 1023 couple nights ago. haven't got them yet but hoping maybe tonight. def need correct tunes to know more but i would think the 6.7 would spool that turbo quicker based on the very design of that engine??

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will definitely like the 364.5 better than the 366. You have pretty small injector and it should pair well. Especially with a standard.

what size would you pair with the 366? not doubting you btw, it's interesting all the diff opinions. jody at dp says 180 cc are a good match and caylon at full force says hybrid 205/30% are a good match and another said 238/80% would be a good match ( which in that video seem to work very well for the load!). this is for towing only not sled pulling or racing or highest hp on a dyno. i only need a tow tune , do not need nor want a crazy street tune just stock, high idle, med tow and heavy tow.

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
full force emailed new tunes so we'll see how these work until 1023 send theres.

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got the diff tunes from full force today. put them in and fired the truck off. idled perfect just like it did with stock split shot inj's. just purred so i let it warm up to 180* then took it for a drive. i have a mile or so before i get on pavement with some hills. the tunes are def for my ecu now! stock mode is what the dp tuner was in 80hp tow mode before so major improvement. throttle is a bit too sensitive like the dp tunes so need to have that turned down a bit and when i push in the clutch the idle drops and hangs a bit. maybe that's a by product of the extra sensitive tps? anyway put it in 6th gear and dropped to 53 to 55 mph so 1500 ish rpm and then wot. it stammered a sec or two then within 100 ish rpm came out, lit and pulled to 30 psi by 1900 to 2k rpm so very pleased with that. let off at 30 psi as i am stock valve spring, push rods and head bolts. i bet the 364.5 would light faster and spool with better but so far i'm happy with this or will be once the tps is turned down a bit. after doing that i came home and let it idle to cool down before shutting it off and now the idle has a 100 to 150 rpm surge to it. almost sounds like each cyl hits twice before the surge. didn't when i first turned it on and there in all tune settings, tried that, not horrible just annoying and was't like that with stock inj's. it did have a 50ish rpm surge stock and i know they all do so i wonder if the really sensitive tps could do this? all in all waaaay better then the tunes that were for a 2000 ecu! lol

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
not sure why the video didn't attach but here it is again

https://youtu.be/HaQ7v25y5UA

Can you do 0-60 normal driving - I would like to see how she shifts...

As far as I know, my bts shifts like glass. I hardly know if I’m in OD.

I have had three tunes from different tuners. The last was sdk which I’m raving about until today, I got php tune from Bill. My bts is in a different truck (dt360 to be exact), and my home built transmission with all the updates added...

I thought to myself “chit, I guess it’s a bts and that’s why it shifts like glass”. Bill blew me away with his first tune - my home
Built transmission shifted like glass if not equally smooth or even smoother than my bts. I didn’t know this to be possible. I could not hear or feel what gear I was in - I had to hook up my cts2 to monitor all the shifts!

I will make a video of the sdk shifts vs php once I have some time tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
​ DieselDC;6064322 said:
Can you do 0-60 normal driving - I would like to see how she shifts...

As far as I know, my bts shifts like glass. I hardly know if I’m in OD.

I have had three tunes from different tuners. The last was sdk which I’m raving about until today, I got php tune from Bill. My bts is in a different truck (dt360 to be exact), and my home built transmission with all the updates added...

I thought to myself “chit, I guess it’s a bts and that’s why it shifts like glass”. Bill blew me away with his first tune - my home
Built transmission shifted like glass if not equally smooth or even smoother than my bts. I didn’t know this to be possible. I could not hear or feel what gear I was in - I had to hook up my cts2 to monitor all the shifts!

I will make a video of the sdk shifts vs php once I have some time tomorrow.

i would say yes 0 to 60......i am a manual trans though and so is the guy i the video i believe. never heard of sdk....got a link?

·
shade tree mechanic
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the link. i know 2 guys that didn't like the php tunes. i know that every 7.3 is different out there so every tune will react differently to almost every truck then the drivers preferences come into play also.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
thanks for the link. i know 2 guys that didn't like the php tunes. i know that every 7.3 is different out there so every tune will react differently to almost every truck then the drivers preferences come into play also.

10-4

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I really like my sdk tunes. My php tunes where kind of messed up from the start but I think I got the wrong tunes. Long story and I'm not going into it

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I really like my sdk tunes. My php tunes where kind of messed up from the start but I think I got the wrong tunes. Long story and I'm not going into it

I like my sdk tunes too till I got my php tunes. Transmission shifts like glass now. I think I remember reading your thread about cncfab tunes etc but yeah I guess each truck gets lucky on their tunes as far as smooth crisp shifts and no smoke etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts