Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to run my truck at houston raceway park here in a week or two. And i was needing some advise due to the fact that i have never run at a drag strip before.
How much boost do i launch with?
Do i launch in 2wd or 4wd?
Any sugestions will be highly apriciated.
thanks in advance

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry ment to post in 6.4 :doh:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have never driven a 6.4 so boost numbers I dont know, but you want 4x4 if you want to do a boosted launch. The whole purpose of the launch is to "launch" your truck. If its in 2wd you'll just spin and spin some more.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I am going to run my truck at houston raceway park here in a week or two. And i was needing some advise due to the fact that i have never run at a drag strip before.
How much boost do i launch with?
Do i launch in 2wd or 4wd?
Any sugestions will be highly apriciated.
thanks in advance
Not sure if you have heard, but a bunch of Diesel Guys from the area try to meet at HRP on the first Friday of every month to race, and BS.

Someone will usually start a thread in the Texas/Louisiana Forum section the week of the meet. Next time should be Nov. 5th weather permitting. Hope to see you out there.

BTW: Boosted launch all the way. Spool it up to around 10-15 psi and let her rip....

Its always a good idea if you are a newb racer to stand next to the track at the tree and watch a few cars run. Watch what they do and how they stage. Better than pulling up to the tree not knowing what to do and embarrassing yourself. Good Luck.
:tree:

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
The short answer is that there's no magical boost number for launching. As mentioned above, put the truck in 4wd as you're rolling up to the lines. Make sure you're in a straight line when you do this (meaning don't do it back in the staging lanes unless you don't have to turn at all). Once the bulbs are lit, stand on the brake and gas at the same time until you feel the truck start to push through the brakes (creep forward). Don't push through so much that you red light. When you see the last yellow, lift your foot off the brake and mash the gas.

How much boost you leave the line with depends on how much you can keep the truck from pushing through the brakes.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys and i will be watching for the post about the 5th. If anyone has anything else to add keep the advice comeing. One more question i was told on another fourm that i am on not to trust my trany??? Do really need to wory about it?:tree:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Remember the tree is NOT at the staging line. BTDT lol

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that a scary thought. i dont want a 3 inch whole any where in my truck.lol when do i shift the truck back into 2wd?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I ran mine and Boosted to 38 lbs.......Not a good thing lmao. Truck Just jumped hard.........I would say stick to 20lbs and you will be fine. As for switching out of 4X4....Wait till you get to the end of the track after slowing down.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok. i had no clue you could go that fast in 4x4

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
I realize this is about a 6.4, but it was posted in a 6.7 forum. I experimented with boosted launching the 6.7 tonight with little success. It's very tricky to get any kind of jump on the torque management. It starts to boost up strong and push through the brakes and all of the sudden it falls on it's face and launches slower than flat footing a stock 6.0.

I'm going to experiment more tomorrow and see just how far I can push it before it won't launch.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how are you likeing the 6.7 other than that?

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
No complaints so far other than the trans shifting seems a bit aggressive. It likes to get into 6th gear and lock the converter as soon as possible and then be completely lazy about downshifting. That seems to be getting a little bit better the more spirited my driving style becomes. Still have less than 300 miles on it, so it's probably still learning.

The low end torque on this motor is amazing. I'm pretty anxious to get it hitched to a heavy trailer.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well its a good looking truck i my dad's friends say that they pull really good.

·
1st murdered 2011 psd
1,387 Posts
Your trans will be fine but not so sure about your rear dif cover. My buddy 6lstrokin blew a 3" hole in his, hot rodding his truck.
that wasnt launching... that was buzzing talking about how if i powerbrake it only one wheel spins but if i nail it both always do... so to prove i got it up to about 90 powerbraking it with one wheel spinning then let off the brake, the other caught and threw half a gear out the diff cover... still drove it 2K miles part of which towing a trailer and never had a prob..

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
(Best Paul Harvey voice...) and now you know.......the....rest of the story! 10.5" Sterlings don't come apart too easily unless subjected to unusual abuse or an excess of 1000 lb/ft of torque. Sled pulling is the number one cause of failure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts