Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with out head studs how much boost can i push with out blowing my heads??

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
keep it at stock boost levels until you can afford to stud it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand what u mean but idk what stock levels are. i have a boost gauge and all the bells and whistles but i dont know my limits

·
PSN Veteren
178 Posts
They say to keep it under 25 or 30 psi

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have seen them hold 60 pounds but not for long. Your stock intercooler wont take much more than 40 or 50 pounds I dont think. Someone correct me if Im wrong

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think its a combination of heat, and boost.
I ran the Extreme Race everyday in my truck for over two years with no problems. Then as soon as I pulled a Duramax on a heavy car hauler trailer for two days straight...the heads cracked enough to leak coolant. And when pulled apart the gaskets were blown out between the cylinders.
Not saying it was just from the car hauler, but it helped I'm sure. (My own fault for not changing the tunes when needed, but I like the power of the Extreme Race tune.)

I had around 35 psi max boost on the stock 03 turbo with stock head bolts.
If your gonna run a tune, its only a matter of time before the motor will need studs...JMO

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leave it alone dont tune it. dont stud it hell dont drive it your gonna blow the head gaskets apart any way runn it stock untill they pop,.

haha k it a really god lawn ornament so i will just let her sit!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Stock---max 28lbs i pull a 14k 5er and try and keep it around 25lbs max
ARP studs---30-33lbs max i think
2 stroker

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have been hitting a max of 33-34 psi on my stock bolts with Matt's SRL tune. I would consider this tune to be an SRL+ tune though because I thought SRL was supposed to max at maybe 28psi. I have a an 03 turbo and an egr delete. The delete may have something to do with more boost but not sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts