Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When checking for boost leak should you be able to hear air leaking or should there be no sound?

I'm using about 5psi and I can hear a leak from the turbo area, I soap up the intercooler and spider boots and no leak.

What could be the leak at the turbo?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Did you forget to check the IAH or the bolt if you removed it?

Did you check the actual detector seal and its fittings?

You should not hear air passing if there is not a leak.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you forget to check the IAH or the bolt if you removed it?

Did you check the actual detector seal and its fittings?

You should not hear air passing if there is not a leak.
IAH bolt? What is that?

Yes checked the detector and its fittings no leak.

If that is a leak would my boost be low?

My egt's rise very quickly especially when I get on the throttle hard,Ican hit1300 easily.

I will try to check it when engine is cold so I can get to the back of turbo.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
It is the intake air heater. It is a unnecessary part that actually takes up a considerable amount of space in the intake.

Read this: Air Intake Heater Plug

You can replace it with a 5.9 Cummins oil pan drain bolt.

If you are still running the CCV into the intake tube did you remember to pull it off and block the hole? Otherwise you are trying to pressurize the whole engine. LOL

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
If you already have a boost gauge you can check that as well to compare the two gauges or use it alone.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the intake air heater. It is a unnecessary part that actually takes up a considerable amount of space in the intake.

Read this: Air Intake Heater Plug

You can replace it with a 5.9 Cummins oil pan drain bolt.

If you are still running the CCV into the intake tube did you remember to pull it off and block the hole? Otherwise you are trying to pressurize the whole engine. LOL
Okay sorry I know what you are talking about I just saw IAH ( AIH )No leak there.

No I did not plug the hole I wil try it again.

I did find a leak at the rod on the bottom of the turbo,should there be air at the rod?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay Tarm pluged the ccv and now no leak, thanks for the tip.

Why would there be air at the rod at the bottom of turbo, was it going through the ccv hole?

Would the air eventually leak down if there is no leak?

I'm using about 5psi and if I leave it for a few minutes pressure will drop but no sound of air leak,and no leak with soap water.

So no boost leak what could be causing my high egts?

What is the danger zone and how long can you hold it there?

Someone mentioned you would have to hold it for a long time before distruction is that correct?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Sorry that is my dyslexia kick'n in when its late. :doh:

That's the rod from the EBPV coming thru. Would think it should not leak but someone on here cloud tell you for sure. I have not used the leak tester on my current ride and may last truck had did not have the ebpv so... But I can tell you if you have the crank case vent still plugged into it and you have the leak detector plugged into the end of the intake tube no the turbo that is most likely the sound you hear and what is dropping your pressure. Sure would take much more air volume if nothing else.:D

Try that and I think you should be good.

Back to your issues. Is the main one hot egts for the most part? What about smoking? Boost level?

Did this just happen one day or has it been this way since you installed the chip and gauges?

Have you checked you up pipe at both ends?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry that is my dyslexia kick'n in when its late. :doh:

That's the rod from the EBPV coming thru. Would think it should not leak but someone on here cloud tell you for sure. I have not used the leak tester on my current ride and may last truck had did not have the ebpv so... But I can tell you if you have the crank case vent still plugged into it and you have the leak detector plugged into the end of the intake tube no the turbo that is most likely the sound you hear and what is dropping your pressure. Sure would take much more air volume if nothing else.:D

Try that and I think you should be good.

Back to your issues. Is the main one hot egts for the most part? What about smoking? Boost level?

Did this just happen one day or has it been this way since you installed the chip and gauges?

Have you checked you up pipe at both ends?
Thanks plugged the ccvand all is good no leak.:D

I think it happen when I did the chip and gauges.

Up pipes for leaks? No leaks

Could it be the tuner,maybe I should give Jody a call.

Egt's seems good at cruising speed, it just when I get on the hammer . Also when I did some data logging I didn't even look at my gauges,just was concentrating on the raod . I'm sure it got up there in egt's.

Any more ideas?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Don't forget your valves. You are going to have an open intake valve or more, air will leak past those.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Thanks plugged the ccvand all is good no leak.:D

I think it happen when I did the chip and gauges.

Up pipes for leaks? No leaks

Could it be the tuner,maybe I should give Jody a call.

Egt's seems good at cruising speed, it just when I get on the hammer . Also when I did some data logging I didn't even look at my gauges,just was concentrating on the raod . I'm sure it got up there in egt's.

Any more ideas?
Does it happen in all the tunes? My guess is on at least 80hp tunes up but you never know so......? Hows the boost? What about the smoke

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
You don't have a leak, the air is escaping out of your exhaust pipe.

The egts you mentioned are completely reasonable and will not hurt a thing.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Is 1300 as high as it gets or is that where you back off to stop it from getting higher. I was under the impression it was the later. If 1300 is max I agree 100% with Sun. Also is this only the hot tune what ever its called or all the tunes? Is the smoke being cleaned up? I doubt you have a boost leak as you woudl have found it if it was anything significant.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I can bury my EGT guage in the economy tune if I want to. Happens really fast in my #5 tune.

I went WOT for over 3 minutes today. Well not really WOT, but I was bumping it pretty regular, I was at 4K RPM for over 3 miles. Racing a DPS officer believe it or not (he won). I have no clue what my EGT's were, the guage was way buried. Scanguage it just stops at 1600º, it took a little while for it to come back down after I let out of it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is 1300 as high as it gets or is that where you back off to stop it from getting higher. I was under the impression it was the later. If 1300 is max I agree 100% with Sun. Also is this only the hot tune what ever its called or all the tunes? Is the smoke being cleaned up? I doubt you have a boost leak as you woudl have found it if it was anything significant.
1300 is where I let off, so not sure if it will keep going. Is it safe to try it, see how high it gets with out holding it to long.

I think it happens in all tunes except stock.

Not sure on the smoke I have to check on that one. What do you mean by cleaned up?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Cleaned up, means the turbo comes up and starts adding enough air so you can burn all the fuel and the smoke goes from a black out the sun cloud, to a light haze, to ideally nothing but heat fumes.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yeh that is not exactly comparing to a stock truck is it? Not sure what you are running but figured its not exactly stock ;) I get it that you can cause egts to rise fast if you try to where normal driving or even WOT would not cause it. Personally for me I would not want my Econo tune, if I had a dedicated one, to cause over 1600+ F from going WOT. A hot tune yes possibly.

So 4 mins WOT. What speed did you hit? These bricks are not exactly stable aerodynamic at speeds over 120-130. :evil ;)
:D

You do not feel that caused any damage 3 mins straight with egts somewhere over 1600 degree F? I'd be skeerd to do that.
LOL

So how exactly do you race a DPS without ending up riding with him afterwards? Friend? The ones I met never seemed to have a good sense of humor about that kind of thing. ;)

I know my tunes on my current Truck/Xcur only my race tune will step over 1300. It is still basically stock. I know from speaking with Big Stroker 238/80 38R Matts tunes maxes in the 1300s He is pushing 520 HP with some head work.

What I was trying to figure out is he only maxing out at 1300 or is he backing out of it at that point and its still rising fast. Is it in all the tunes or only the race. What is he seeing for boost and egts cruising at 65-75.

Many new chip owners get a bit concerned when they see the effects hot tunes have on egts even though its normal.

Homesteader,

Yes its ok to keep going but do not hold it there for a long time. Hot Egts for a short run is not going to hurt anything. The idea / general rule is you do not want to have your egts over 1300-1350 for extended periods of time. Towing and lugging up a long steep grade instead rather down shift and drop the egts back under 1300s give or take.

I had a feeling it was going to be in all tunes with stock injectors from something I saw posted a while back about what is called for in PW. Was just a guess.

This is all WOT correct?

What is your egts hwy cruising in the 65-75 range? Boost?

Its likely nothing and normal but no reason not to make sure.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I agree. I have no clue on the speed. She felt pretty stable and was running really strong. I guess he just wanted to strech out and play, he was in front of me the entire way. He never got over a door on me, I never got closer than a bumper on him. I hope I have no long term damage. Funnest run I have ever made though. I do agree with everything you are saying to the OP though. Everybit of it.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You got a pair that is all I can say. I give it to ya. I agree that would have my adrenaline rushing hard. :D I saw a guy one time up here in a worked up supra that was using a trooper that was hallin ass to get somewhere as a rabbit to clear the path. Both were well into mid 3 digits. I guess the trooper saw the guy in the mirror or had rear facing radar. He swung right and locked up the brakes on the side. Got the guy pulled over and yanked his ass right out thru the open drivers side window. LOL My guess is they were getting close to 150 as I was actually trying to keep them in view and they were still pulling away and I had the hammer down with the needle buried.

What are you running for injectors / turbo? I know Tony tends to like to run a bit more fuel as my chip from him always had higher egts. Nothing bad, plenty of power but certainly more fuel.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cleaned up, means the turbo comes up and starts adding enough air so you can burn all the fuel and the smoke goes from a black out the sun cloud, to a light haze, to ideally nothing but heat fumes.
Thanks Arisley, okay I notice when I hit the go pedal there is black smoke and then clears up as I get up to speed. But I would have to check it again and keep an eye out and watch the smoke when I get on the hammer. I will post back later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts