Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these boost fooler blow off valve things that has been on my truck quite literally for 10 years and I got to looking at it the other day and began to thing "boy, that looks like a boost leak!"

Any power/ boost to be gained by getting rid of that thing?

What are the good options for dealing w/ CELs and defueling. How about an air compressor regulator instead?

Electrical solutions?

How about a different MAP sensor all together like Matt has touted?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Sure seems like a boost leak, but in the pure volume of things, I believe it's more like a garden hose draining water from the Mississippi River.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
there are 3 types of foolers i have seen , regulators , valves , and sp
electrical.

stroken early99 never could get his sp electrical fooler to work,
dieselsites reg works well its leak is smaller then a mouse fart.
itp reg works well, just dont play with it before you install it, and get it out of adjustment. had a budy install one and he had a fun time getting it back into adjustment after his son was don playing with it.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
This is the way mine is, if you even have any problems with it, you can pull it off, put a little pressure to it, and use the gauge to see where your pressure is.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
I hated my SP diesel plug in dongle dildo POS. I ended up smashing it with a hammer, boy it felt good doing that.

I now have an ITP diesel overboost annihilator and it works fine. Like said above, don't touch it before you install it. I did and it took some playing with it to get it to do it's job before the moron(me) got his mitts on it.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
the one i got from Bob on dieselsite i found my self spraying it with PB blast to free it up when i sterted getting a over boost code..i know its differnt but .maybe yours is stuck open a little...

·
Crazy *******
867 Posts
Find a tunner that knows what they are doing and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Too much boost can damage the MAP, yes? What are ours rated for? Is it not wise, even with good tuning to use a "fooler" of some sorts?

We use an air tool regulator we bought at Lowes. Took our home air compressors regulator, cut it back to about 27PSI (highest we saw on our truck before the turbo ate itself) used it to feed the tool regulator and set it to 17PSI.

Never get an overboost code.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
there should not be more then the set PSI getting past the first one so a second one isnt really doing any thing...after the set PSI is reached the extra psi will just bypass the map and get used by the motor....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Huh?
I think you missed what I said.
The MAP can be damaged by excessive boost, so we put a boost fooler between the "manifold" and the MAP in order to not only prevent defueling but protect the MAP from damage.

A second what? I'm confused.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Huh?
The MAP can be damaged by excessive boost, so we put a boost fooler between the "manifold" and the MAP in order to not only prevent defueling but protect the MAP from damage.

I have not heard that before. What level of boost are we talking about causing damage to the map 30 40 50 .....

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Some rides hit double that. Haven't heard much on map sensor damage, but I am sure they are running foolers

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
Huh?

sorry about that..you used one to set the other..i read it as you had 2 reg's on your truck...:doh:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
As far as I know Matt is the only one that has figured out how to program using the factory map without the need of a fooler; not just turning off the CEL or code. Have not heard of anyone having issues and some are running some serious boost.

·
Registered
561 Posts
(shrug)
I just know most factory map's aren't much higher than 3.5BAR at the high end (which is essentially 50PSI) but most are closer to 2, 2.5BAR (30-36)

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
As far as I know Matt is the only one that has figured out how to program using the factory map without the need of a fooler; not just turning off the CEL or code. Have not heard of anyone having issues and some are running some serious boost.
Jody has had that in his tunes for over a year, or more(maybe two years). I don't run anything on the SD, but with twins making over 70psi, I think a regulator is a good idea. Ever see a MAP sensor blown apart? :doh: I have...LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts