Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
trentmccor7
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is for my dad. How much boost should he be building for his 97? it has a KN air intake, stock turbo, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, with Edge Evolution programmer set to extreme.
His next thing is he keeps hitting 1280* on his EGTs pulling Parleys and sometimes on open road at WOT but thats when hes doin 80 plus. Its a pretty good grade over a long stretch between SLC and Park City in Utah. He usually ends up backing out to about a little less then 1/4 throttle about 65mph and he will still touch the 1280 mark. All we are pulling for now is a 3 place snowmobile trailer with two sleds on it. This concerns him more because he plans on buying a 35 foot toy hauler this year.
Any help or input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Trent

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The edge isn't helping. If you get a custom tuned chip it can reduce egts a good bit, assuming you have no boost leaks or exhaust leaks. Also keep in mind OBS trucks are non intercooled so they are going to run hot

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would definitely check for boost and exhaust leaks. When I bought my truck about a year ago it had a bunch of em and ran pretty hot even without a chip. Exhaust manifold, up-pipes, and turbo compressor outlet all leaked. Plus if it has high miles his turbo may need a rebuild. Always best to fix whats wrong with it before spending money on bolt on bandaids.

·
trentmccor7
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys for the replies. Ya Ill tell him to look for leaks. It only has about 170000 miles on it. From what other people have told me hes most likely best to update to a bigger turbo and if not a turbo a different wheel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Programmer set to extreme" Edge clearly states not to tow with this setting. When towing I set my Edge to "Tow" mode, anything else is too hot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts