Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Well, like the title says, my 7.3 bogs down at full throttle. 3/4 throttle runs great, no problem. It use to run fine, till it sat for about 5-6 months with the same fuel. It started running like complete crap till I ran all the bad fuel out, now runs great unless I'm to the floor? Any help? Is there anything in the tanks like a filter that could cog up? Also, I have a bad vacuum pump, I don't of that would cause it too? I don't know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, these issues are hard to tackle since we dont know your truck. I would start by changing your dirty fuel filter and clean that screen where the fuel enters the fuel bowl. Also mayb change the oil if its due. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I know it's hard to get a straight answer unfortunately but at least it'll get me in the right direction. I'll have to check the filter and the screen tomorrow.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've heard of people having HPOPs that were getting weak that had issues like this.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
sounds like a hpop issue to me too. Where you at in Indiana. I have AE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Make sure your orange boot is all intact? I messed with a truck that had the SAME problem ended up being a piece of that boot covering up the turbo. If not that id say Hpop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, and I'm currently located 15-20 minutes Southeast of Indianapolis. And a few local guys said its most likely the hpop.

I also forgot to add this truck has Stage 1 injectors (unknown CC, from previous owner).

Truck runs great just driving normal. And someone's it'll pull semi hard, and something just bogs. But never pulls like it should when full throttle. It does roll a lil black smoke, which I thought if it was getting normal fuel or not enough it wouldn't have any black smoke. It has a crappy SuperChips programmer on it, on stock it still smokes, offroad it smokes a lil more of course.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn. I hate how so many problems have the same traits!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Simple, go to a quality repair shop, or buy some cheap tools. You just need to monitor your fuel psi while driving and hi psi oil... You will be able to tell whats falling off as you stab the throttle to 100%. Most quality shops could do this diagnostic in probably an hour or less, and id guess less than $100 hook up fee....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could this be a IPR issue? I can pick one up for free if it is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUMP!!!

IPR issue???

·
Registered
296 Posts
It could be, but really before i went to too much trouble, I would still either borrow a buddies scanner, or buy you a gauge and hook up... I have a genisys scanner i bought off of ebay, it shows my hipsi oil, duty cycle, tps, every sensor on the engine and it runs a cylinder contribution test, glow plug check, datastream, codes, logs data, ect ect. I paid $600 used for it tho... But it works on all vehicles from late 1980s to 2008 obd2 stuff. It dont show fuel psi tho, because the pcm on our trucks dont monitor fuel psi, it takes it as a given.... But you can buy a $40gauge at oreillys to check fuel psi with, and you can buy hipsi oil gauges good to 4000psi off of ebay, and adapt to it. Before i started throwing parts at it, i would either buy the gauges or pay a shop a $100 troubleshooting fee..... Just my .02

·
Registered
296 Posts
And just a thought, but it maybe too far away for you, but my buddy Josh owns RiverCity diesel in peoria Illinois. He charges a $90 hook up fee and his technicians will tell you exactly whats wrong with your truck. You can either have them fix it, or just pay the $90 diagnostic fee and take it home and fix yourself.... They do have a very Reputable shop..... Would be worth the drive if your within 5hours or whatnot from there.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
And just a thought, but it maybe too far away for you, but my buddy Josh owns RiverCity diesel in peoria Illinois. He charges a $90 hook up fee and his technicians will tell you exactly whats wrong with your truck. You can either have them fix it, or just pay the $90 diagnostic fee and take it home and fix yourself.... They do have a very Reputable shop..... Would be worth the drive if your within 5hours or whatnot from there.....
Just did mapquest, your less than 3.5 hours from Rivercity diesel, If it were me and i didnt have the tools, i would call them, set up an appt, and go pay them the $90 diagnostic fee... They specialize in ALL Ford diesels, not just the 7.3s, so they are very knowledgeable...... Then you can buy the exact part you need, have it fixed the first time.... Plus, they may give you some pointers that may net you some extra ponies out of the old gurl for free.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thnaks for all the info man!!

I'm gonna try to find someone around here with a good scanner. I'm trying to go the cheapest route as I can right now. I just picked up a reman IPR at no cost, so I'll try it.

My gps on my iPhone said 4.5 hours and 223 miles... 2 hour drive is long enough for me in that thing. lol.

I've also been doing some researching, I guess I should check all my wiring. See if anything is dirty or loose.

I daily drive it, and it has devloped a new problem. It'll sit over night, i start it up, let it run for a few, and go to work. For the first couple miles, it barely accelerates, and sometimes I cant even get it to go over 40. After a few miles, it clears up, and drives fine (except the full throttle issue). Now after sitting at work for 8 hours, I start it up, drive off. Runs awesome. And I can do one full throttle pull, and it runs like it should, after that one pull, it'll start bogging under full load. btw, engine temp is cold.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you hearing a hissing / whossshhhing sound when it's bogging down?
Nope, nothing that I can notice, but I have a miter stack level with my roof, so I'm sure I would be about to hear. lol. My EBPV is manually kept open. It was like that when I got it. If that's where you might be leading....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine does the same thing ever since I replaced my fuel pump. The turbo is loud as hell too. I'm thinking it may be my hpop as well. I guess I need to find a gauge and check its pressure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine does the same thing ever since I replaced my fuel pump. The turbo is loud as hell too. I'm thinking it may be my hpop as well. I guess I need to find a gauge and check its pressure.
When you're full throttle? I don't feel like getting a hpop, but if i have to, i have to. lol. i don't understand though, my truck will roll some coal, so wouldn't that mean it's getting enough fuel? lol. at least thats what i thought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts